PDA

View Full Version : Click Click Click Start, 1986 Supra Sunsport starting problems.

Doublegulp
08-25-2014, 12:05 AM
Purchased my first boat a month ago and have been working on getting it running well. After replacing the starter, and starter relay, I took her out for a test run and everything seemed to be running great. After about 4 hours on the lake with no problems, the engine wouldn't start. The starter relay would click but not start. Thankfully I was within swimming distance of the boat launch and was able to get the boat out of the water and back to the house. I thought that it was a bad battery or possibly a bad ground so I cleaned up the grounds, and checked the battery. Battery was good 12.6v. but still just clicking. Got another battery just in case, same thing. I finally figured out that if i click the switch repeatedly it would eventually turn over and start. Replaced the ignition switch because I thought that might have something to do with it. Replaced the connections to the battery and again checked the grounds. Still the same thing. At this point I am scratching my head and would love any thoughts the forum might have. Below is a link to a video if you would like to hear what is going on for yourself. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

http://youtu.be/MmHuwPhycUk

michael hunter
08-25-2014, 05:59 AM
Make sure you have voltage at the S term of the relay when the key is turned to the start position . Where did you get the starter and relay ?

92SupraComp
08-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Umm, if the key is triggering the solenoid, then the key is good. Check for voltage on the switched side of the solenoid. It sounds like you have a bad starter.

Doublegulp
08-25-2014, 11:56 AM
That was my first thought but the starter was brand new from SkiDim so i was second guessing myself. It was just me yesterday, so I couldn't check the switched side voltage but I will tonight. Guess it is time to ping Skidim and get a replacement. Thanks for responding.

chris young
08-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Check out https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?16174-Weird-heat-soak-problem&highlight=weird+heat+soak. We had a big discussion regarding starters and there's some really useful info in there.

wotan2525
08-25-2014, 04:08 PM
I'd use a screwdriver to short the starter and see if it spins. That will tell you if it's the starter or the relay. I'd also try and pull on the belt at the front of the engine and see if you can get it to move at all. Sometimes the teeth on the ring gear and the starter will be just-right and sort of jam each other up. You'd probably still hear the starter whirring but it is possible.

carlossa
08-26-2014, 05:03 AM
My guess is the relay. As wotan stated, use the screw driver across the main starter terminal and solenoid terminal to check. A remote button with two aligator clips is also a more confident way of doing this. Also, how confident are you that your main lead to the starter is good. Good luck and keep us informed of your results.
Just read it again and tend to think that the wiring related to the key and relay could be sus. The short out trick at the starter motor will be your key to fault finding i believe.

Cusefan78
08-26-2014, 05:05 PM
I had the same problem on my fishing boat. It ended up being a bad connection. Went through and replaced all the old corroded connections and haven't had a problem since.

edgewater1
08-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Check the neutral safety switch, that the same symptom my boat has when i t docent want to start. That system can be a bit finicky, defiantly when you have 30 year old controls.

CJD
08-27-2014, 09:53 AM
I'd guess either a bad connection or a bad starter solenoid.

Doublegulp
08-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the responses, Checked and cleaned all of the connections, Starter and Relay are brand new. Was working fine for about 4 hours. Talked with Vince at SkiDIM and he said to check the voltage on the switched side of the starter while someone is turning the key. If it reads above 9 Volts, the manufacture says it should trigger the solenoid. I will check that tomorrow. If it less than 9 volts, then it is likely some other issue. I also checked the neutral switch and the relay will not engage while it is in gear, when I put it in neutral, the relay engages so I think the neutral switch is ok.

92SupraComp
08-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Wait a minute... Are talking an old school plunger type starter or a newer mini high torque starter?

wotan2525
08-28-2014, 08:07 AM
It wouldn't be the first time a brand new starter or solenoid went dead. Just saying.

Cusefan78
08-28-2014, 08:23 AM
No but that video makes it sound like a bad connection. It could be in the starter.

Doublegulp
08-30-2014, 03:13 PM
Well finally got someone to help turn the key while I checked voltages. It was the relay. Whoever said that adding multiple new parts sometimes creates issues in diagnosing problems was correct. Although brand new, it was bad. Put the old one back on and she fired right up. Much thanks for all of the help and see you on the lake.

Montgomery
08-31-2014, 12:50 PM
Definitely sounds like a bad solenoid. Mine was doing the exact same thing. My buddy replaced his solenoid 4 times before he got a good one lol.

lively
09-03-2014, 01:54 AM
How about you hook a ground from batt neg to starter bolts and then try again ? Everything is negatively charged so you must verify the simple stuff . Cause usually it was something simple just a pain to figure out !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk