PDA

View Full Version : Surfing Prop Input

CornRickey
08-26-2014, 01:21 PM
Alright, I searched a ton last night and kept coming up with information from several years ago. Technology changes and I would like to know what is the latest and greatest prop for the '03 era Launch ssv hulls? I don't cruise above 35 and pull everything at about 20-25 mph and surf at 10mph'ish. I'm looking for a prop to handle about 2k ballast wakeboarding/knee boarding, 1500 wakesurfing and will assist the engine with these loads. I feel like the engine is loaded while wakesurfing and under more stress than it should.

Right now I'm running a OJ 18x14 cupped. This is the same as a factory prop but cupped. Top end loss isn't a issue since it max's out at about 47mph which is crazy fast for me.

I'm looking for real life input for our boats and will follow up with Nettles prior to my final decision.

Zim
09-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Alright, I searched a ton last night and kept coming up with information from several years ago. Technology changes and I would like to know what is the latest and greatest prop for the '03 era Launch ssv hulls? I don't cruise above 35 and pull everything at about 20-25 mph and surf at 10mph'ish. I'm looking for a prop to handle about 2k ballast wakeboarding/knee boarding, 1500 wakesurfing and will assist the engine with these loads. I feel like the engine is loaded while wakesurfing and under more stress than it should.

Right now I'm running a OJ 18x14 cupped. This is the same as a factory prop but cupped. Top end loss isn't a issue since it max's out at about 47mph which is crazy fast for me.

I'm looking for real life input for our boats and will follow up with Nettles prior to my final decision.

I have a 14.5x14.25 and it surfs great loaded up. Still hit 41 on GPS with it too. Honestly, best way to figure out the best prop for your situation is to call Eric directly at OJ props. They'll suggest a prop based on your discipline, weight, motor, trans, etc. Give them that info and they'll get you set up with what you're looking for. Go to the source!

BOWZ
09-04-2014, 05:14 PM
just following, after i finish weighting the boat the prop is my next purchase. keep us informed on what you get CornRickey.

bowz

shickman47
09-07-2014, 11:17 AM
I hav an Acme wake prop that will jerk your shorts off, my 14yr stepson comes out of the water when i pull him up, i will look at it when i get home, the prev owner had it installed, i hav indmar 325, same hull as urs, and my boat pulls outta the hole better than any of the new boats on my lake, will get back to ya

Steve

shickman47
09-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Sorry, its an OJ prop made here in TN, 14 1/4 x 14

CornRickey
09-08-2014, 03:54 PM
I'll add it to the list. Thanks

CornRickey
02-12-2015, 05:57 PM
I think I narrowed the prop down to a Acme 1610. Anyone have input?

Drewintejas
04-15-2015, 12:17 PM
OJ has a few new props we tested on some moombas and supras. OJ 925 and OJ 945. Both props perform great but for your needs I would get the 925 14.75x13.75. I have used acmes for years until OJ came out with these new props, they perform awesome and we will be using them from now on at the shop.

trayson
04-15-2015, 12:32 PM
I currently have a Acme 537 (13.5x16) on my XLV. It's pretty fantastic as I get great fuel economy and performance. it's a great all around prop, but it's not the full blown "surf specific". I've done my boat listed with about 1000 locker, 350 under surfside seat, 250 under bow seat and another 1000 in the basement center locker. The boat came out of the hole w/o a problem and got on plane easily. Edit: I forgot to mention that I have the 340 engine, in case that is relevant...

The only time I've had an issue with the prop was when I tried doing over 3k of ballast, evenly weighted with a HUGE ghetto gate. Then it took forever to get up and on plane. So I think that 3k of ballast is the turning point at which I'd have to consider the next level of prop. IF I was going to go with a more aggressive surf prop, I'd probably be looking into the
Acme 1847 (14x14.25)
Acme 1617 (14x13.75)

Basically the Acme 537 I have, as well as the 1847 and 1617 are the three "go-to" props right now for the guys on the Moomba forum.

trayson
04-15-2015, 12:36 PM
I think I narrowed the prop down to a Acme 1610. Anyone have input?

Are you sure you're not talking about the acme 1617 I've listed above? I can't find anything on a acme 1610 on their website, but a lot of my friends run the 1617 on their moombas...

Moor
04-15-2015, 03:33 PM
I installed an Acme 541 in place of the olf OJ 13x13 last year, and i couldn't be happier. Call Nettles, They will be able to match up an appropiate prop for you boat and your watersports needs. I bought the 541 from them on their reccomendation and its perfect for my boating needs.

CornRickey
05-23-2015, 12:14 AM
Ran my 1617 for the first time today. Pulls like my SN did not like a Bayliner it use too. Top end is significantly lower. It hits the Rev limiter @ about 37 now. I use to run it wide open @ about 47. Haven't loaded it up yet. Hoping for better weather tomorrow.

CornRickey
05-24-2015, 05:43 PM
Loaded with about 2k. It's a bad ass prop for surfing. Just takes a little throttle to get the wake developed and pp takes over. I use to have to throttle way past the set speed to get the wave developed then back off with the pp constantly struggling to keep speed. Not a issue anymore. I can see saving a ton of gas while surfing but burn allot more whole cruising distances. Previous cruise speed was about 30 it's about 22 now. If I was trailing and cruising every time I went out I would consider the next less aggressive prop. I can change my prop in about 5 minutes so if we go somewhere other than staying @ my cabin where we cruise distances I would change to my other prop.

BOWZ
06-04-2015, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback CornRickey.