PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Supra Comp with Holley Carburetor

Guy Philips
09-01-2014, 09:50 PM
I have a 2000 Supra Comp with a Holley carburetor. I need to replace the carburetor. It seems to be a 4 barrel double pumper 750. Does that sound correct? I am contemplating switch over to fuel injection. What is the complete system I would need to use? What is the system used by Supra? Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

chris young
09-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Could be, Holley does make a 750CFM mechanical secondary marine carb. I think most of the boats came with vacuum secondaries though. But there are others on the forum that know better than I.

Why convert to EFI? It's a lot of messing around, and the carbureted motor if properly tuned is simple, powerful and trouble free. Holley carbs are easy to rebuild as well. A lot of people are doing electronic ignition conversions, but not so many are going to EFI.

It took me a bit longer than most to get mine running right, but now it starts on the bump of the key, runs strong, idles smooth, and all the tweaking I did is far less work (and money) than doing an EFI conversion.

BTW welcome the the forum

Guy Philips
09-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Thank you for the advice.
Guy

CJD
09-03-2014, 07:39 PM
I used to race, run, rebuild, and tweak Holleys. When I went boat shopping last year, the only option I would not bend on was the boat had to have EFI. EFI works, day in and day out. Just run a search for EFI and then one for Holley on this forum. Holleys are, and always have been, a pita.

The best tuned carb is only a compromise. EFI just works. And when it doesn't, you change the faulty part and then it works again. Best of all, it usually tells you which part to change. I've yet to find a Holley that'll do that!

Oh, back to the size question. If you have a big block motor, a double pumper 750 will work well. If you are running a 350ci or less, a 600-650 cfm will have better characteristics for you. Vacuum secondaries have better transition than the double pumpers.

chris young
09-04-2014, 11:27 AM
CDJ, that all makes sense, but, would you go to the expense and trouble of and EFI conversion?

I know EFI is all around better, but, correct me if I'm wrong here, that conversion means new heads, installing o2 sensors, crank pos sensor, (new crank or can the old one be retrofitted?) TB, fuel pump, fuel rails and associated plumbing, injectors and I'm guessing new intake manifold, not to mention the actual computer. Not my area of expertise, but it seems like a huge project. Or is there a TB injection mod that is much simpler?