PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Throttle Cable on the Morse throttle lever

trayson
09-02-2014, 10:28 PM
So, I figured I'd document a little bit about changing the throttle cable.

Yesterday mine snapped on the lake. We disconnected the bracket that holds the cable to the block and manually actuated the lever on the carb to go more than idle speed.

I needed to confirm that it was the throttle cable that was the culprit (not the throttle lever assembly) so I got a head start by removing the lever from the interior of the boat. It's a minor PITA to get that damn lever out. I've tried previously and wasn't successful. The best I could find online is that you need to rotate the handle to be able to pry it back and down a smidge while prying outward. turns out the best angle is about 2 to 3 o'clock.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8Yi0QLQD4uc/VAZ5qPCZOCI/AAAAAAAAUCs/iYadhQzZXO4/s800/20140902_183621.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-oxmb0PpblAM/VAZ5oIYXVII/AAAAAAAAUCk/viZfncwiKco/s800/20140902_183629.jpg
The throttle cable is the outer and the transmission cable (that takes it in and out of gear) is the inner. I did remove the copper bracket on the throttle cable at the far right side of the pic to make it easier to get disassembled. It was just a flat head screw attached to a nylock nut in the throttle assembly. Removing the throttle cable from the arm is a small cotter pin.

The throttle cable has a post and a sleeve on it, and that post threads into a copper barrel. My understanding is that the barrel is part of the throttle assembly, but I'm sure that will be confirmed when i get the new cable.

I was told by Ski DIM that the length of cable I needed for my 1992 Sunsport was 18 feet. The cable that seemed to be the most readily available was a UFlex C2X18 Control Cable. I needed the part quickly, and couldn't stomach SkiDIM's really, really expensive shipping prices, so I am picking it up locally from my local boat dealer and it should arrive tomorrow or the next day. It was about $32 + tax.

I'll update more when I get the cable.

So, I followed the cable and clipped the two points where it was attached to other cables/wires along it's path. I plan to fish the new cable into place with the old...

SquamInboards
09-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Hang on to the little barrel connectors that thread on at either end of your old cable, those are usually NOT included with the new cable, or the new ones could be different. Of course, you will have them since you're fishing the new cable through with the old... but just sayin. Did you consider changing both while you're in there?

Also, how has the boat been running?

trayson
09-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Hang on to the little barrel connectors that thread on at either end of your old cable, those are usually NOT included with the new cable, or the new ones could be different. Of course, you will have them since you're fishing the new cable through with the old... but just sayin. Did you consider changing both while you're in there?

Also, how has the boat been running?

I thought about it, but it's not THAT bad of a job, so I'm just doing the one that needs it. we'll see if I regret that decision later! Ha!

I ran the boat over labor day weekend. put over $90 in fuel through it. I heard 1 or 2 hesitations over the whole weekend. Never coughed or anything like it did in the past. I have my trusty 2 gallon can of ethanol free with a length of fuel hose to hook directly to the pump (after I crack the gas cap to confirm it's not a venting issue), but I haven't had it misbehave since then. ???

cadunkle
09-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Check the brass tits for wear. A year or two ago one of mine broke off, likely from a older still throttle cable. Was on vaca so bad timing but several hours and 6 marinas later I found one that would work. The local Skiers Choice dealer up there had a big sign out front "The Pontoon Capitol of Maine" and were useless for the brass tits or cables (either on hand or ordering). Only had a couple inboards and declined to allow me to take one off a boat they had for sale and pay them many times what the part costs. Anyhow, don't be stuck like I was, inspect these while apart and if they're not worn put a dab of grease on them.