PDA

View Full Version : Ballast bag repair

Eric1687
09-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Looking to repair or buy a used factory ballast bag outta my 01 ssv gots a 3" rip in it not sure if there is a way to repair it any information is appreciated

meteorman
09-04-2014, 01:53 PM
I am working on a repair on one of my bags where the hose flange separated from the bag. Fly High recommends full replacement. I reached out to a buddy that is a retired Navy SEAL to see if he had any recommendations based on what they do with their Zodiacs. (smilar materials and construction) Will let you know if he has suggestions that might help you.

CornRickey
09-04-2014, 02:22 PM
If it's a bag that has the outer cover and inner bladder like a waterbed, I cleaned it, ruffed it up and used Shoe Goo. The outer cover supported it just make sure you don't over fill it.

Eric1687
09-04-2014, 03:03 PM

here are some pictures of the bag

MJHKnox
09-05-2014, 11:33 PM
Might try to speak to a whitewater raft repair company. My buddy repaired his boat by using a repair kit sold online. Not sure of the price - $50 to $80 for the kit - patches, adhesive, misc other stuff to prep and scuff the surfaces. There are few types of urethanes/adhesives (PVC vs Hypalon) depending on the type of material. I know when he repaired a rip, he used 2 patches - one inside, then one outside. It bonded well and looked sturdy. The inside patch allowed the 2 seams match to one another w/o wrinkles. Then the outer patch was the same size as the inside.

I agree with CornRick. Overfilling would not be good on a patched bag.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CornRickey
09-06-2014, 12:33 AM
Yea, mine blew out at the seams. I'd follow the advice of Mr Knox (he's money, get it? Knox-money hahaha)