PDA

View Full Version : Rotten Stringer Question

rhyldahl
09-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Hi Supra Community,

I am quite new to this forum. I became interested in buying an older sunspot about a year ago. I searched and searched and finally found an '87 that was in really good condition (or so I thought). After doing a lot of research and reading lots of posts here, I thought I had done my due diligence in inspecting the boat before I bought it. I had the engine thoroughly checked out and I very carefully inspected the engine mounts and the floors for possible rotting and soft spots. Everything looked good. This past weekend we were out on the lake and I emptied out the bow and stood on the floor underneath the bow seats. AHHHHH……soft floor under there! I had never thought to check the floor under the playpen. So, my question is, how screwed am I? Am I going to need to get this thing taken care of right away or do I have a bit of time? All other floor and engine mounts are very solid, but there is the one soft spot on the left side of the bow floor. Other than that, the boat has been flawless. We have dialed in the surf and wakeboard wakes and I am super stoked with the boat. Thanks for any input that you have

wotan2525
09-09-2014, 11:19 AM
IMHO -- Very minor. There is nothing structural about the floor under the bow seating. You're safe. Dry to keep it dry to prevent it from getting any worse. You can also tear it out and replace it without much effort (probably need to replace it in 2 or 3 pieces and cut it out with a sawzall.)

I wouldn't be stressed about it at all. The floor can easily rot up there without effecting the stringers. The important part of the stringers are where the engine is attached and it seems like you're good there!

rhyldahl
09-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the reply. That makes me feel a bit better. I keep the boat garaged always and am quite careful about drying everything thoroughly after it has been out on the water. Given its current condition, I am hoping to put off the big stringer job for a while.