PDA

View Full Version : Removing boat from trailer

Henner
09-09-2014, 12:28 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any tricks or secrets for an easier way to remove boat from trailer during the winter so i can redo my trailer. I do not have access to a boat slip of course and am scared to lift the boat off with the hooks on the rear and front. Don't trust 24 yr old fiberglass and backing plates.

thanks,

inair
09-09-2014, 04:46 PM
If you don't trust lifting, pretty much all you have left is jacking it, blocking it, moving the trailer a bit and then starting over. It will take a while but it works well. Many on here have done it. Just make sure your blocking is stable.

trayson
09-09-2014, 05:32 PM
What specifically are you going to re-do?

I was thinking about this before I sold my Sunsport and my plans were to buy new hardware for the trailer bunks, buy new wood, cut and cover them with carpet in advance. Then take it to the boat launch, tie up the boat to the dock, and go back to the parking lot and install the new prepared bunks in the parking lot.

Are there any campgrounds near you with boat slips? That could be an idea too.

wotan2525
09-10-2014, 12:37 PM
What specifically are you going to re-do?

I was thinking about this before I sold my Sunsport and my plans were to buy new hardware for the trailer bunks, buy new wood, cut and cover them with carpet in advance. Then take it to the boat launch, tie up the boat to the dock, and go back to the parking lot and install the new prepared bunks in the parking lot.

Are there any campgrounds near you with boat slips? That could be an idea too.

I've done a variation on this. My launch is only 1 mile from my house so I pre-carpeted the bunks (they last longer if you use carpet glue on them.... it makes it so that one rip doesn't end up with all the carpet coming off), made sure I had the right galvanized hardware (lag bolts + washers), and then parked the boat on the beach while I ran the trailer home to install the bunks. With a cordless impact driver, I think you could do it all in the parking lot without much trouble.

Henner
09-10-2014, 02:03 PM
I will be sanding down the trailer and painting it black, re doing the lights, bunks, etc. So i will have it off the trailer for several weeks. May have to try the jack and block method.

Wulphie
09-10-2014, 05:14 PM
You can lower the trailer jack as low as possible and put blocks under the stern area of the boat. Then raise the trailer jack as high as possible and put blocks under the bow/keel area. When you lower the trailer jack to the mid point the boat should be off the bunks by a couple inches. You will have to move the trailer out from underneath the boat in stages because of the bracing on the trailer but this is basically the easiest method.