PDA

View Full Version : Stereo System Wiring

SZEH
04-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Can anyone tell me if this is going to work? I have a '06 21V with the stock Kenwood system. I bought a 6 channel Jl Audio amp. I also have a 10" Kenwood sub in a ported box and two 6 x 9 Polk tower speakers.

I want to keep the interior speaker still running off the Kenwood head unit just as it came from the factory becasue I don't want the full system running all the time. I want to use the 2 preamps from the head unit to power the tower speakers. Use 1 preout (front) to the amp and bridge channel 1&2 for one tower speaker and then use the other preout (rear) to the amp and bridge channel 3&4 for the other tower speaker. Then run the sub preout to the tamp and bridge channels 5&6 for the sub. Accoring to the specs on the amp this should give me 150W rms at 12.2 volts to each of the tower speakers as well as to the sub. Then I want to run the power on switch from the amp to the accessory switch so I can run the power the tower speakers and sub when needed, or I can keep the volume low by just using the stock factory set up and the interior speakers. Does the factory Kenwood head unit a Kenwood MP440MR with that many preouts?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

lowdrag
04-17-2007, 05:11 AM
Sounds like that should work pretty well. The other thing you'll be able to do with it set up that way is to use the menu on the head unit to kill the power to to the head unit amp. I do that when we turn the music up while boarding. That way all that is running is the sub and the towers and the people riding in the boat can actually stand it.

AusBill32
04-17-2007, 04:17 PM
When I got my 2006 Supra it came wired so that all the in-boat speakers and the tower speakers were running through my single Kendwood amp bridged and then the sub was on the other two channels bridged. Needless to say that set up did not work. The amp was over heating within in a 1/2 hour or so and I could not control the volume which drove me nutzo

So I immediately had a smaller amp installed to run all the in-boat speakers, and then my 4 tower speakers and sub ran off the stock kenwood amp. I had to have all the speakers rewired so that when I faded to the front all the boat speakers would just be on and when I faded to the back only the tower speakers would be on or any combination of the both. Well my amp continued to over heat like crazy last year but I lived with it because I didn't have any extra money. I just turned the gains way down.

But this season I paid to get it all ripped out and went crazy with Wetsounds speakers and Arc Audio amps. See the recent thread I posted in this forum about it.

Just make sure you get it wired so you can control the tower speakers seperate from the in-boat speakers otherwise it'll drive you crazy.

-Bill-

SZEH
04-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for all the help. I've done something like this on my previous boat, so I think my plan will work with this install too. Hope to get everything in this Sat. but I'm always looking for a few good new ideas. I'll post a few pics after I get everything in and hopefully hit the water on Sunday!

lowdrag...Good point. I've been in a couple of boats where it's been way too loud in the boat trying to get enough volume out to the wake boarder.

AusBill32...Your system is incredible! I think I may have heard it in Atlanta the other day when you were fine tuning it!!!

Thanks again!