PDA

View Full Version : Snap on cover for 86 sunsport

lively
09-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Does anyone know of a place that I can order a kit style "thick-sunbrella style" snap on cover for my boat , I'm having issues with rain and drainage and ect . I would like to make this interior last but these standard blue HD tarps I buy every quarter is not cutting it .

Thanks

Lively http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/11/f436e001d3751f0b3d7aca08cc980579.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wotan2525
09-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Why snap-on?? It doesn't look like you have snaps installed (and I'm still swearing at whoever drilled a hundred holes for snaps in my boat.) I'm really happy with the fit and quality of the cover I ordered from skiboatcovers.com. It uses straps but it's solid and it cured all of my water issues. It's also breathable so I don't have to be so worried about covering up a wet boat.

mabbore
09-12-2014, 11:35 AM
I had a custom cover made for my Sunsport from Sunbrella material. Mine has snaps and a cinch below the straps. This thing was not cheap ~$800, but this is one of the best investments I have ever made on the boat. It looks factory, keeps water out, breathes better than most. I can trailer with it, I can easily put it on. Trust me it was worth it.

crystal waters
09-13-2014, 11:38 AM
Does anyone know of a place that I can order a kit style "thick-sunbrella style" snap on cover for my boat , I'm having issues with rain and drainage and ect . I would like to make this interior last but these standard blue HD tarps I buy every quarter is not cutting it .

Thanks

Lively http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/11/f436e001d3751f0b3d7aca08cc980579.jpg

I am an old school classic look type of guy.
To that end I would never install snaps on such a classic clean looking boat.
Your upper deck was designed to allow tow ropes to go unfettered from behind the windshield left to right across the back of the boat as you position your boat for those you are towing.
Should you ever slide off the side or back of your boat snaps are not a lot of fun!
It will happen one day, trust me!
I far prefer the custom fit from skiboatcovers.com
It uses a small rope to tighten the final fit and is very easy to put on.
Just installed a replacement cover on my conbrio from them last month!
Love it!

lively
09-13-2014, 11:50 AM
That's what my pops says . He hates the idea of snaps so idk I just want a cover that will last from this tx heat and ice

Jetlink
09-13-2014, 12:31 PM
That's what my pops says . He hates the idea of snaps so idk I just want a cover that will last from this tx heat and ice

Texas ice, haha, oh boy that was funny. In all seriousness though, my boat came with a crummy snap on cover that I only use when the boat is moored in the water overnight. My main cover is two ropes that go below the rub rail and cinch tight. I can trailer with it and it keeps water out. No issues with it other than some fading from being out in the sun all summer long.

lively
09-13-2014, 12:39 PM
I need something that is tough and easy to throw over and tighten up with a good seal and vent

inair
09-13-2014, 03:25 PM
I have one from skiboat covers also and love it. I've never trailered with it but others say it can be done. I live in GA and my boat is stored out doors. It doesn't snow much here and I don't know about ice but the fabric is thick and breathable but keeps water out. It has three adjustable poles to keep it up and a rope that secures it around the boat. They are not cheap. I think mine was $800. but it is cut specifically for your boat model and is guaranteed for 10 years. In my opinion it is the next best thing to being able to keep it under a structure.

cadunkle
09-13-2014, 08:48 PM
As much as I hate snaps I had a two piece snap cover made for my boat. It was about $700 and quite nice. I could not find any cinch below the rail style cover for a Saltare on the typical sites recommended here and on other sites and of the the two local shops I talked to neither seemed confident in that style of cover. So snaps it was, solely because for a few weeks every year the boat stays in the water at the lake house and I need something that is easy to put on in the water, secure, and won't blow off in strong wind. If I only trailered and never left it in the water when it rains I would have most likely stuck with a generic oversize cover I could strap to the trailer or just a tarp. When it's on the trailer I usually use a thick tarp (gray, maybe twice as thick as the cheaper blue ones usually are) as it saves wear on the expensive snap cover and tends to keep the boat drier.

mabbore
09-15-2014, 10:19 AM
I am an old school classic look type of guy.
To that end I would never install snaps on such a classic clean looking boat.
Your upper deck was designed to allow tow ropes to go unfettered from behind the windshield left to right across the back of the boat as you position your boat for those you are towing.
Should you ever slide off the side or back of your boat snaps are not a lot of fun!
It will happen one day, trust me!
I far prefer the custom fit from skiboatcovers.com
It uses a small rope to tighten the final fit and is very easy to put on.
Just installed a replacement cover on my conbrio from them last month!
Love it!

Actually all of my snaps are about 1.5" below the rub rail. I have never caught anything on them.

crystal waters
09-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Actually all of my snaps are about 1.5" below the rub rail. I have never caught anything on them.

It will happen one day. Trust me!

chris young
09-15-2014, 04:19 PM

Mine too. I bought the boat with the snap on cover already fitted so I never considered that it was an after market addition. In my case my boat sits at the dock all summer, and I like to keep it covered, I can't imagine trying to fit a tie down style cover while the boat is afloat.

crystal waters
09-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Mine too. I bought the boat with the snap on cover already fitted so I never considered that it was an after market addition. In my case my boat sits at the dock all summer, and I like to keep it covered, I can't imagine trying to fit a tie down style cover while the boat is afloat.

Easy done actually!
Just came in off the boat an hour ago.
Two minutes at most!
Each has their own preference however!

chris young
09-15-2014, 08:40 PM
I guess I was mistaken as to how those covers go on. I thought they had to tie with straps that went under the boat. No way I can put my cover on in two minutes. More like five, ten if it's raining:cool:

crystal waters
09-16-2014, 11:12 AM
I guess I was mistaken as to how those covers go on. I thought they had to tie with straps that went under the boat. No way I can put my cover on in two minutes. More like five, ten if it's raining:cool:

I simply throw the front of the cover over the front of the bow.
Stand in center of boat just behind windshield and pull cover back towards me as I snug it up at the nose as a result.
I clip in the front pole that "tents " the cover and pull rest of tarp to back seat area where I clip in rear tent pole.
Step onto the swim grip and snug the corners of tarp over the corners of boat and then take the cord at center rear of tarp , pull tight and fix a double slip knot to hold?
Done!
I should point out that I have never trailered with the tarp on but that is a whole different subject that appeared on this forum about a year ago.

vvfdfirefighter
11-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Ordered both of mine from boatcoversdirect.com. I have a 2000 launch and an 87 Marauder. They price match and the quality of the thick Sunbrella is superb. I have found that even with direct fit covers you'll still need poles even though they say you dont. The covers do stretch after a month of being on. But that's the material. Maybe since you're in texas they'll shrink more than stretch like mine did on the east coast. Fast shipping and free shipping. Find a cover you like online for cheap and they'll match the price. Snagged my Marauder cover for $250.00 and it's direct fit.

These covers have a since rope tgat you tie at the transome and then 10 straps to use while towing.