PDA

View Full Version : Strut alignment

chris young
09-12-2014, 12:28 PM
I'm looking for anyone who has messed with or replaced their strut on an '80s era boat.

My shaft alignment is out, and the motor has already been moved as far as it would go, (PO) the mounts don't look like they've moved so the likely culprit is a misaligned or bent strut. I'm wondering if when you loosen off the strut mounting bolts there is a bit of wiggle room to align the strut.

Cusefan78
09-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Are the mounts down flush and all the screws on the original spots. No way can it be off that much I have touched my strut but I can't imagine there's an play in there has the coupler moved I would check to see if the coupler is square then work your way forward.

Wulphie
09-12-2014, 09:54 PM
I'm looking for anyone who has messed with or replaced their strut on an '80s era boat.

My shaft alignment is out, and the motor has already been moved as far as it would go, (PO) the mounts don't look like they've moved so the likely culprit is a misaligned or bent strut. I'm wondering if when you loosen off the strut mounting bolts there is a bit of wiggle room to align the strut.

Yes, mine was out like that. There is actually a good bit of slop in the strut mounting holes. I removed the strut and cleaned all the caulk off of everything and remounted the strut with the engine and trans mounts in a more neutral position instead of adjusted to their extremes.

Ptownkid
09-13-2014, 07:27 AM
It is not uncommon to have to shim your strut.

lively
09-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Loosen it up and shim it out ! People hit things and it will have to be moved from time to time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cusefan78
09-13-2014, 02:26 PM
I would have never guessed there is that much play there.

lively
09-14-2014, 12:33 AM
There's enough once you loosen things up . But I mean I would be checking runout of the shaft first before I was stuck on shimming the strut

chris young
09-14-2014, 09:34 AM
I checked the run out on a lathe during the winter when I had the shaft out. I also crack checked it, and lapped the prop. When I put it all back together I installed a new shaft coupler and strut bushings. The strut may be bent a little or shifted a bit, so if I can move it a bit so I can centre the motor then that would be great.

lively
09-15-2014, 09:55 PM
I would go buy a bore sight lazer for a rifle like from academy or gun store . Like 10 bucks , and with shaft out and engine in middle or neutral state get a good line of sight guess and then check it with shaft . Good luck .

chris young
09-16-2014, 09:08 AM
That's a great idea! However, I'd prefer to not have to take it all apart again, as it's all new and tight. I'm going to try to do it all with the coupler and the prop on once the boat comes out in a couple of weeks for winterization.