PDA

View Full Version : Supra beast in need of tlc

War wagon
09-15-2014, 12:52 AM
Hi, been lurking here for a while and finally goi g to dig into my project. I would realy appreciate some input and like to share this with you all so....... Here is the. Back story.

I live in reno nv.
Bought an 87 supra beast this spring.
It is mostly original except for a recently built 427 engine. It was kinda ruff when i got it but we liked it so much I decided we would keep it long term and restore it. We enjoyed wake boarding behind it most of the summer. This weekend we put her on lake Tahoe and things didn't turn out well. The wind picked up and I had to cross the the lake in big fing waves. I'm not entirely retarded and have been around boats my whole life. I came within seconds of sinking the beast befor I coasted up to the dock at cave rock. The vertical side of the hull on the drivers side under the windshield tore from the rub rail down! I intend on repairing the side of the hull. I already had plans to replace the stringers and subfloor and re gel coating the boat. I have not done this before but am very well equipped with tools and the desire to see the project though. I could realy use some input on this, hope to give you all a good read over this winter :) give me a day to get some pics of the before and after

michael hunter
09-15-2014, 07:45 AM
The search box on the upper right is your friend.

Kma4444
09-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Sounds like a bit too exciting of a way to end the season. Glad you kept it and yourself off the bottom.

Would like to see pics of it all and seeing it restored, especially after such a near miss, will be really cool.

Good luck and keep us posted for sure.

Southerngrounds
09-15-2014, 09:04 AM
post some pictures of your beast please

War wagon
09-15-2014, 10:35 PM

War wagon
09-15-2014, 10:58 PM
15106][]15107

War wagon
09-15-2014, 11:04 PM

the boat was a little ruff when I got it, but all together and fully functional.

my theory on the damage is that the impacts of the waves caused the section of the rub rail hull seem in front of the damage to separate which then led to a stress point where the tear started at the top.

Blakelpd5
09-16-2014, 12:59 AM
Holy Crap!!! Glad you got that thing back on the trailer!!! I bet that was scary...

Kma4444
09-16-2014, 06:30 AM
Yowza, now that's a problem!!!!!! It will be fun to see the autopsy on that, see what is in the hull still for structure.

Now get busy, we all need some graphic pics :)

chris young
09-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Well, anything can be fixed, but at the price of used boats of this vintage, my money would be on finding another one in a boat yard that still had a good hull but had been canibalized and do that as a project. I wouldn't be surprised to see that damage extending all the way over to the other side once you got the floor out and had a look inside. You're going to have to tear it so far apart to do a proper repair, you'd be better off just doing a stringer job on something else. That's my .02

War wagon
09-16-2014, 02:44 PM
well my original plans for the boat were to replace the stringers, subfloor, new interior and re-gellcoat. I kinda feel like that list is involved enough that the new damage isn't the end of the world for this hull. the concept of find a doner hull for cheep to save some man hours isn't lost on me but the other part of me really wants to bring this one back to life. we have had a few boats, for some reason we love this boat the most.

lmnelson86
09-16-2014, 09:20 PM
I would strip that boat of everything useful and salvageable, and take the hull straight to the dump. That is dangerous no matter what fix is done to it or who does it. Stinks to say but sometimes you just have to cut your losses. Nice boat, its a shame.

War wagon
09-16-2014, 10:52 PM
I don't feel like it can be written off yet. the visible damage in just un reinforced 1/4 fiberglass, no wood structure. Once the hull is split and further inspection is done......maybe its salvageable maybe not

just in case, does anyone know of a hull for sale? or places to look?

Cusefan78
09-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Yeah actually there was a guy last week that wanted to buy a comp but it ended up being a beast. The boat was trashed but the hull was good. It's in service section under comp

Southerngrounds
09-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Considering you were planning on replacing the stringers and redoing the gel just fix it. It will make great before and after pictures.

chris young
09-22-2014, 12:46 PM
I disagree. The hull is buckled. I don't know what your skill sets and equipment are, but it's not just about patching and grinding at this point. If you don't put it back together right you could end up with the hull being permanently twisted or bent. Without being able to drop it back into the original mold, I think this is a very real possibility. You could end up doing all that work, and then the cap doesn't fit back on. Or you manage to the the cap back on but the boat doesn't run right. Finally if you don't get a really solid bond between your patch material and the existing hull, you could do all that restoration work, and have if fail in exactly the same scenario. Look at it this way, would you buy that boat if the PO showed you that photo and told you he repaired it when he did the stringers?