PDA

View Full Version : Marine grade plywood

jasun
09-17-2014, 03:26 PM
I have been looking around for some three-quarter inch marine grade plywood, and every place I go it is close to $90 a sheet. Menards has it for 70. Do you think there is a huge difference in quality?
I know generally they are not known for their good-quality lumber.
Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CornRickey
09-17-2014, 08:17 PM
with plywood you normally get what you pay for. Go look at the edges and see how many layers there are and voids.

BOWZ
09-17-2014, 09:16 PM
had regular plywood floors in my old rinker Cuddy cabin I/O, in the first two years I owned the boat it went from solid floor to complete mush. I think the owner did a quick stringer and floor job. It then sat for 5 years while I was in Alaska and upon returning to the lower 48 there wasn't one piece of solid wood on the boat. The floor was also covered in a DIY rinoliner. To sum it up, don't do it!

bowz

jasun
09-18-2014, 07:47 AM
Bowz- I am talking about marine grade plywood. Not regular plywood. The biggest difference is the number voids and the type of glue. The website says it is seven layer with water resistant glue. I agree with Cornrickey, that it probably mainly depends on the number of voids.

When I read did my saltare i used regular plywood, but fiberglass the crap out of it.

michael hunter
09-18-2014, 08:40 AM
I do pontoon floors and boat decking, floors and seats . The cheapest part of any job is the material . Go with the best grade you can you will forget all about the 20 dollars you saved when the whole job has to be redone.

crystal waters
09-18-2014, 08:54 AM
I do pontoon floors and boat decking, floors and seats . The cheapest part of any job is the material . Go with the best grade you can you will forget all about the 20 dollars you saved when the whole job has to be redone.

Totally agree with Michael.
This type of job is not worth trying to save 20 dollars on.
The expense of a re-do five years later because of having used cheaper material will far and away off set the twenty dollars you tried to save.

haugy
09-18-2014, 09:38 AM
I think he's asking if there might be a big difference in quality from the $90 to $70 one. So like others said, it really comes down to the wood. And since I probably couldn't tell a piece of quality maple from a Popsicle stick, I'd end up buying the high end one.

michael hunter
09-18-2014, 11:08 AM
I don't buy any wood from the Depot or lowes . I use a local lumber yard [Georgia Hardwoods] they specialize in Cabinet grade hardwoods and marine ply. It cost what it costs all materials are high now . I have never had a bad experience with their products so I stick with them . Maybe the Depot has the same quality maybe not . The question is Do you feel lucky? Well do you?

jasun
09-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Lol. Ask for all of the input. I found a local company that specializes in pontoon restorations. Www.pontoonrestore.com
They do the complete deck packages. There three-quarter inch plywood that has been treated (not treated lumber) is about 65 bucks a sheet.
I am going to go with their package, because the wood they have has a lifetime warranty against rot.

CornRickey
09-18-2014, 06:01 PM
Lifetime warranty doesn't mean crap when the company is out of business or you have to destroy thousand of dollars in labor and other materials to replace it.

BOWZ
09-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Looks like I miss read it. as far as what source of supply, I can't help ya. Keep us posted though!

Bowz

michael hunter
09-19-2014, 09:22 AM
I have used Www.pontoonrestore.com and Pontoon stuff just down the street if you are close enough to pick it up that would be a good place to buy. Its the shipping that kills the price for me here in GA . That same sheet will cost me 90 plus by the time it gets here. They are the only place I have found to get the 8.5 ' wide ply needed for newer pontoons.

James
09-20-2014, 04:38 PM
I recommend getting pressure treated and coating both sides in fiberglass resign. That wood if sealed properly will outlive the boat... I have done over 5 boats with it. All are rock sold. I usually coat all the sides with the resign and put the matting over the top when I'm finished.

jasun
09-23-2014, 03:03 PM
I have always heard not to use pressure-treated wood, or at least not new pressure-treated wood. The fiberglass will delaminate if there still moisture in the wood.

When I redid my boat, I just used AB plywood and made sure I did a good fiberglass job.
The plywood they are selling has a lifetime guarantee against rot.

I also got the website wrong. Www.restorepontoon.com

Ptownkid
09-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Not sure about the states, but here in Canada, marine grade ply and outdoor mahogany ply is exactly the same with the exception of the marine ply being 1-2 more plies and guranteed to be void free. If you are coating the sheets with resin and possibly glass, I'd go with the mahogany ply at less than half the cost.