PDA

View Full Version : Diesel tow rig question

BOWZ
09-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Well guys, loving my Supra! Going to be putting it away for winter here in a few weeks and will be starting on winter projects. One of my winter projects is going to be designing and building a new exhaust for my Cummins. Right now I have a 90DEG dump under the front part of my box. Its loud and covers the boat with soot something horrible.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/bigbossbowz/06%20cummins/th_4C92B4F2-5676-4D09-8E96-51D71957AA89-1909-000003DBF4278F5F.mp4 (http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/bigbossbowz/06%20cummins/4C92B4F2-5676-4D09-8E96-51D71957AA89-1909-000003DBF4278F5F.mp4)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/bigbossbowz/06%20cummins/14852188-C1C3-40C9-9DB2-86E6BABFF764.png (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/bigbossbowz/media/06%20cummins/14852188-C1C3-40C9-9DB2-86E6BABFF764.png.html)

I am ultimately wanting to run 5" duels out the back corners, but know that would make it even worse due to the truck being so high. It got me thinking if I also rig up a towing exhaust that is a single pipe exiting under the stinger just below the trailer. It would not be a pretty setup but would get the exhaust and soot flowing under the boat (bottom of boat being dirty is best case in this situation). it would be a 10 min job to hook up, clamp the exhaust on and bolt up 1 V hanger. I have a few ideas on blocking exhaust to the unwanted pipes when running either system.

Before any one chimes in about tune it clean, remove the programer or use your right foot. Yes I know and am working on tuning, it isn't easy with not having efi live for my model year so I will be upgrading my smarty. Right foot, easy to say, hard to resist for a 1200 mile road trips. And lastly I don't own a diesel to have it stock, let along own anything else and leave stock.

Any input would be great or pictures of your set up. Haven't been able to find much luck with Google or this search engine. Thanks in advance!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/bigbossbowz/03%20SUPRA%20SSV/2A3202B2-3E64-49EA-AABE-EC40F46CB2B4.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/bigbossbowz/media/03%20SUPRA%20SSV/2A3202B2-3E64-49EA-AABE-EC40F46CB2B4.jpg.html)

Bowz

KG's Supra24
09-17-2014, 10:45 PM
Hahahaha ... cummins problems!!!! Perhaps a modded duramax is the solution?!? :p :p

You don't think you could dump it before the rear axle? You're going to have a tough time cause I bet it rolls. Maybe another cummins guy has a solution? Might even check on that forum. You didn't sell me on extending it out to the trailer. Stacks?

Do you tow with the cover on?

KG's Supra24
09-17-2014, 10:51 PM
nevermind, just reread and noticed you have it dumped ....

Wulphie
09-18-2014, 07:14 AM
Not much you can do about it really. My 7.3 is stock and still puts out some coal. My buddies that had stacks couldn't carry anything in the bed of their trucks because it would get coated in soot bad. It is just the nature of the beast.

On a side note, one of my friends used to have a diesel that put out 729hp on a dyno and that was without the nos, I remember towing his Baja 292 and putting the back tires up in smoke merging on the highway. Eventually it spun the splines on the trans input shaft and they had to cut it apart with a torch. It was a sh!t show.

CornRickey
09-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Here's a idea. Put proper tunes on your chip so your not smoking everyone out, especially your boat.

CornRickey
09-18-2014, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=Wulphie;112677]Not much you can do about it really. My 7.3 is stock and still puts out some coal. My buddies that had stacks couldn't carry anything in the bed of their trucks because it would get coated in soot bad. It is just the nature of the beast.

On a side note, one of my friends used to have a diesel that put out 729hp on a dyno and that was without the nos, I remember towing his Baja 292 and putting the back tires up in smoke merging on the highway. Eventually it spun the splines on the trans input shaft and they had to cut it apart with a torch. It was a sh!t show.[/QUOTE

If your stock 7.3 is blowing black smoke then you have either a clogged filter or significant injector issue, both equate to poor performance.

BOWZ
09-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Here's a idea. Put proper tunes on your chip so your not smoking everyone out, especially your boat.
HA thanks. I knew some one had that answer. I will say it AGAIN, I'm working on it...

With a stock truck or a great tune any pre DPF truck is going to have some haze. Hence me trying to figure out the best place to dump the exhaust.

Bowz

Hahahaha ... cummins problems!!!! Perhaps a modded duramax is the solution?!? :p :p

You don't think you could dump it before the rear axle? You're going to have a tough time cause I bet it rolls. Maybe another cummins guy has a solution? Might even check on that forum. You didn't sell me on extending it out to the trailer. Stacks?

Do you tow with the cover on?

That is where I have it dumped, it is rolling just like you said, that is why I am hoping dumping it center line as far back as possible it will flow under the boat before it comes over the bow. I'm was a regular on the cumminsforum until people with no good input on the subject would chime in to get there post count up or what ever reason they felt the need to put useless post in threads. I would take a dmax in a heart beat, I just got this sweet deal on a Cummins and they threw in a free truck. Couldn't pass it up.

Bowz

jwwalk
09-19-2014, 02:54 PM

What if you have a turn-down or side exit after the rear axle...less time for the smoke to roll and land on the boat.

What program are you using to tune the truck?

BOWZ
09-24-2014, 08:54 PM
The first exhaust I had was a side exit under the rear quarter panel and stock programing. It still would turn my old cudy cabin a black/grey on long road trips. I honestly think the only way is to get it as far back and as low as possible, I just don't know how to do it and still be ascetically pleasing with out doing a temp "towing" exhaust.

currently running a smarty. It can be pretty dirty if I run it on kill, and can't remember the last time I had it loaded with a crazy heavy fueling tune. I'm wanting to get a the UDC dongle, but don't know to much about it since I have fell out of the "mod your truck crowd" guess getting older you get more boring. I've also ran superchips, edge juice w/attitude and edge EZ in the past.

Bowz

bens250ex
09-30-2014, 01:48 PM
easy solution = HOOD STACK!!!!!! just kidding, from looking at it and from experience I would say run it right in front of the passenger rear tire but don't let it stick out past the tires. That way when rolling it will hit the tire and hopefully deflect from going directly on the boat. Maybe add a muffler for towing it might help reduce some while at towing speed but it wont help at all if gagging on it. You could also add a bigger turbo to increase your air flow. Or better yet add twin turbo set up!!!!!:grin:

2500HD
09-30-2014, 02:48 PM
sounds easier to skin the trailer than to modify the exhaust. it would protect the boat from rocks as well.

bens250ex
10-01-2014, 01:40 PM
I can only imagine how bad that 5.9 drones at highway speed unload with the current exhaust, I use to have a stack on my f250 but would never do one again. Absolutely too loud especially under load. I think a exhaust modification is needed regardless but that's only my opinion.

DAFF
10-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Wrap the boat in satin black......

My 06 will roll coal but only when throttle is 75% or greater. It has factory tunes and will get 21mpg on the hwy. Add a less aggressive program dual 5" out the rear and be done with the droaning. Your ears will appreciate it. I'm loosing my hearing for all of the years listing to the 5.9 under the hood and open exhaust.
I have been running 5.9l Cummins in everything since 2001 and never had much issue with any of them. Tunes are the biggest killers of trans and injectors imo so I leave everything more less factory. I do although spin the star wheel all the way forward on the 12 valves for better get up and go.

BOWZ
10-01-2014, 02:44 PM
easy solution = HOOD STACK!!!!!! just kidding, from looking at it and from experience I would say run it right in front of the passenger rear tire but don't let it stick out past the tires. That way when rolling it will hit the tire and hopefully deflect from going directly on the boat. Maybe add a muffler for towing it might help reduce some while at towing speed but it wont help at all if gagging on it. You could also add a bigger turbo to increase your air flow. Or better yet add twin turbo set up!!!!!:grin:

Yeah I never understood the guys running around with a hood stack, understandable for a full time pulling truck, but that's about it. I did have two 7in miter stacks in the bed of the truck 8 years ago, before everyone was doing it, became to much like everyone else AND most of all the wife hated it. Pulling a load it was like having one of those 4ft tall shop fans on high sitting on the center arm rest. I might try extending the piping to dump right in front of the tires but I don't think it will solve the problem and will be just as loud. Once the turbo lights I have no smoke at all. It is a HTT 62/71/14 and cleans up very well, just a little doggy if the rpms are down. twins.....one day, a little longer away now that I got the SSV.

sounds easier to skin the trailer than to modify the exhaust. it would protect the boat from rocks as well.

I'm interested in what you mean skin the trailer? More info would be awesome, I am always stressed about the rocks to! every time I drive through gravel I pull over and spend 10 min popping out all the little rocks stuck between the lugs.

BOWZ
10-01-2014, 02:54 PM
I always wanted a black supra! I'm only getting 12-14 towning and 14-17 unloaded, 21 would be great but I've got my 50+mpg TDI for my DD. I might have to bump down the tune, but not after I give the exhaust routing a honest attempt. This is my first and last cummins, Had it for over 8 years, and its payed for and I got a free truck out of the deal. Just wish now I could go back to stock ride height. Thanks for the input, loosing the drone will be nice.

Bowz

2500HD
10-02-2014, 08:49 AM
We have a guy runnin around up here with a supreme that took diamond plating, welded it to the front of the trailer. he matched the angle of the transom and wrapped it around both sides of the boat for rock protection.

2500HD
10-02-2014, 07:15 PM
it's very similar to these
http://www.montanarockguards.com/wp-content/gallery/new-look/p1013022.jpg
http://www.montanarockguards.com/wp-content/gallery/new-look/p1013187.jpg

cadunkle
10-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Simple solution, first get your truck tuned right. You should not be putting out plumes of dark sooty smoke. You need either less fuel or more air, pick one or a bit of both. Keeping a standard low exhaust you can run yours farther back and exit in front of the rear tire at about 90*. Don't go ridiculous on size, it looks dumb and does not help power. 3" is adequate, 3.5" is plenty, or whatever your downpipe size if that's bigger. Your restriction is at the turbo , making it bigger farther downstream does not help. Maintaining this size will help keep velocity up at the tip even after the gasses have cooled some, with a 90* exit this will blow farther away from the trailer. Alternatively you could do a stack high enough and and exiting at a 45* angle or so behind and to the side. Single stack of a normal (non-ricer) size in corner of bed with heat shield, and won't affect what you can put in the bed too much and will get the exhaust away from your trailer. I don't understand the 5" duals comment, does this engine have compound turbos with 5" downpipes? If not, you're going about the exhaust wrong.

Personally I've been running a straight pipe ending at the back of the cab just inside the frame rail. I put a 38 gal rear tank in and the exhaust interfered so off it came. Eventually I'll get around to extending it and it'll come out at an angle right in front of the rear tire. I don't want to deal with bending large pipe for clearance around my larger tank/axle/spring/etc.. I have not had an issue with the boat getting sooty. The underside of the truck is sooty though, which is my main reason for wanting the exhaust to exit out the side clear of everything. I don't have my pump cranked way up though, so getting into the pump working it hard it'll smoke a little until it's spooled up but then just a haze or very light smoke if any. A bit of smoke while it spools should not gonna cover the boat in soot.

BOWZ
10-11-2014, 11:03 PM
We have a guy runnin around up here with a supreme that took diamond plating, welded it to the front of the trailer. he matched the angle of the transom and wrapped it around both sides of the boat for rock protection.

I like it, I'm about a 1000 miles away right now at HVAC tech school, but when I get back I will mock something up and see if I like it. Thanks for the pictures! It looks like they are a pre-fabed bolt up system...

Simple solution, first get your truck tuned right. You should not be putting out plumes of dark sooty smoke. You need either less fuel or more air, pick one or a bit of both. Keeping a standard low exhaust you can run yours farther back and exit in front of the rear tire at about 90*. Don't go ridiculous on size, it looks dumb and does not help power. 3" is adequate, 3.5" is plenty, or whatever your downpipe size if that's bigger. Your restriction is at the turbo , making it bigger farther downstream does not help. Maintaining this size will help keep velocity up at the tip even after the gasses have cooled some, with a 90* exit this will blow farther away from the trailer. Alternatively you could do a stack high enough and and exiting at a 45* angle or so behind and to the side. Single stack of a normal (non-ricer) size in corner of bed with heat shield, and won't affect what you can put in the bed too much and will get the exhaust away from your trailer. I don't understand the 5" duals comment, does this engine have compound turbos with 5" downpipes? If not, you're going about the exhaust wrong.

Personally I've been running a straight pipe ending at the back of the cab just inside the frame rail. I put a 38 gal rear tank in and the exhaust interfered so off it came. Eventually I'll get around to extending it and it'll come out at an angle right in front of the rear tire. I don't want to deal with bending large pipe for clearance around my larger tank/axle/spring/etc.. I have not had an issue with the boat getting sooty. The underside of the truck is sooty though, which is my main reason for wanting the exhaust to exit out the side clear of everything. I don't have my pump cranked way up though, so getting into the pump working it hard it'll smoke a little until it's spooled up but then just a haze or very light smoke if any. A bit of smoke while it spools should not gonna cover the boat in soot.

Who said I was putting out plumes of dark sooty smoke? Thanks for the information on how a diesel engine works, I guess I missed that part in the 10 years I have been a diesel technician. From 10HP air cooled Yandmars to 2600hp 16cyl CAT's I have a little experience with diesel engines. As far as size, we are not talking about 1.9L diesel in my car, 3in HA, a stock exhaust for a 5.9L cummins in 2005 was 4IN, that is with a smaller turbo. Pretty sure if I put a 3 or a 3.5in exhaust on my truck and went back to stock programing, I wouldn't have a running truck for very long. I'm looking for velocity at the tip for what reason? Pretty sure what ever velocity my trucks exhaust could ever have will never overcome the wind going past the tip at 70MPH. As far as stacks, how ever you do stacks its "rice" as you call it. I had them in my younger days before everyone was doing it. What is there to misunderstand about my duals comment? No the truck doesn't have compounds, (one day it will) and obviously you don't have much knowledge about my truck BUT I have installed a 5" down pipe.

To clear some things up, I don't have a problem with the boat getting all sooty when I am going to my normal boating spots around town, but rather when I'm doing 1,000+ mile road trips. I can understand some people probably don't have that many miles on there 10 year old trailer but for me, I do plan on traveling 800-1200 miles several times a season.

Bowz

Jetlink
10-12-2014, 12:07 AM
Where's that popcorn?

BOWZ
10-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I guess I was having a bad night. Just wanting some helpful answers. I have some ideas now, just be some time before I put them into action.

Bowz

BOWZ
01-24-2016, 12:21 PM
Well you guys were right, ended up saying screw the whole truck and get a new one.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g76/bigbossbowz/15%20CHEVY/7CFC97E5-7E3A-4FAA-B6BA-22E56CDB8F36.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/bigbossbowz/media/15%20CHEVY/7CFC97E5-7E3A-4FAA-B6BA-22E56CDB8F36.jpg.html)
2015 Duramax

Bowz

Bowz

2001Sunsport
01-27-2016, 09:05 AM
Nice rig, how do you like it?

BOWZ
01-30-2016, 08:52 PM
Thanks I love it, have not looked back! Haven't pulled anything with it but dead-heading city/town 19mpg. Couldn't touch that with my dodge w/37's. Drives so nice! This summer I will be able to actually have fun behind the boat and not worry about getting the boat back in the driveway cause I'm acting younger than my body is.

Bowz

War wagon
02-06-2016, 01:19 PM
Nice new truck!!!

As far as your problems with the old set up we're concerned I think the only thing you could have done would have been to spread the soot out as much as possible, like duals down low and full semi mud flaps. You could have also maybe made a Venturi style exhaust tip to help dilute the soot some...maybe

Anyways at least you have a truck supported by efi live now! Throw a transgo shift kit in it and find a used dpf to core out as a delete pipe and enjoy!

agesta
02-07-2016, 01:19 PM
running attack man

BOWZ
02-07-2016, 10:32 PM
Nice new truck!!!

As far as your problems with the old set up we're concerned I think the only thing you could have done would have been to spread the soot out as much as possible, like duals down low and full semi mud flaps. You could have also maybe made a Venturi style exhaust tip to help dilute the soot some...maybe

Anyways at least you have a truck supported by efi live now! Throw a transgo shift kit in it and find a used dpf to core out as a delete pipe and enjoy!

Yes it is, I've got it tuned by Korry Willis and love it! Have a mbrp 3" DP to 4" straight pipe for exhaust. I am running the lowest setting and it is quick enough for me, with hardly any smoke, Hope to get Kory's TCM tuning to hold me off until I get a built trans.

Bowz

War wagon
02-10-2016, 10:38 PM
Sweet!!!

I can't get away with the straight pipe on my truck because I haul a lot of material for work and get hassled by the highway patrol to often, that's why I suggested coring out a used dpf for a stealth delete pipe.

Are you going to lift it like the last one or level it out? The black factory alloys look good by the way

BOWZ
02-14-2016, 10:58 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do a reverse level with some sulastic shackles. I lowedered the Cummins 3 inches the last year I had it. Would have gone down another 3 to factory if it was possible. Much more practicable.

Will be hooking to the boat tomorrow to drop off at the shop for a new strut bearing.

Bowz