PDA

View Full Version : Arg... Swim Platform.. Top 3 Screws teared out

OneCent
09-20-2014, 04:55 PM

Top 3 screws teared out and that what i found when i remove the Plattform and the "holder". 2008 21V.

1: No backing plate for the screws? Thats a cheap construction.

2: Two additional holes in the bottom? For what? Wrong drilled and not fixed? If you can't see, then its not there?

I'm not amused.

Is there a solution for the problem, and is there a better "holder" for the platform, one that the platform does not "rattle"

Thank god that happened at the end of the season..

Cheers, OneCent

carlossa
09-21-2014, 04:01 PM
I have a similar problem only its the bottom screw in each mount on both sides. Id like to bolt mine in but the this would require the removal of the sub floor in my bag lockers. Im not sure on the construction in this area. I was thinking of pushing some resin up the hole with a syringe and the inserting the screw as a temporary solution. In your situation I think that through the transom bolts will be required.

OneCent
10-21-2014, 05:12 AM
Your right, the temporary fix with resin did not work, we tried it, at the end i was using a "Spannset" to fix the plattform before it will be winterized and fixed.

chris young
10-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Sorry, I didn't take photos, but pulling the tank and putting in backing plates was no big deal on my 84 Rider. Trying to do it without going inside the hull will always be a half assed solution. (IMHO)

wotan2525
10-21-2014, 10:13 AM
That's pretty poor construction. Unfortunately, it's not the first time I've seen that on here.

The best fix is going to be some kind of backer plate or even a couple of large washers + lock nuts + 3M 4200.

That will be dependent on whether you have access to the back of the swim deck or not. On my 87 Saltare, this involved me cutting out the floor beneath the fuel tank. It wasn't a lot of work and it's not visible..... but I wouldn't want to do it in my storage/sack locker on a V-Drive. It's going to be messy.

The next best fix is going to be some kind of anchor. I don't have any experience with these fixes but either a blind rivet nut or a well nut should work. I think it's at least worth a try. The well nuts are inserted from the outside and the rubber bushing expands as they are tightened. You'll need to measure the hole in the bracket and by the correct size. http://www.mcmaster.com/#well-nuts/=u8xvru