PDA

View Full Version : Lake of the Ozarks vacation

cjtpilot
09-22-2014, 08:47 AM
So the wife and I are starting to plan next years family vacation and we are thinking about Lake of the Ozarks. I am looking for any and all advice, reviews, recommendations etc......

Zim
09-22-2014, 09:22 AM
I've been on that lake a lot. What are you and your family wanting to do on the water? Are you bringing your comp down for your primary boat? If you're bringing the comp, you're going to want to stay away from the busy area of that lake. The 50 ft cruisers and go fast boat wakes will sink you. I don't take my 20v lower than about the 34mm (Where Captain Ron's is located). Up in the higher mile markers, like 42 and above, you can find some nice water in coves. If you're going on a non-holiday weekend it'll be even better.

Any specific questions? I'm pretty familiar with it.

cjtpilot
09-22-2014, 12:16 PM
I've been on that lake a lot. What are you and your family wanting to do on the water? Are you bringing your comp down for your primary boat? If you're bringing the comp, you're going to want to stay away from the busy area of that lake. The 50 ft cruisers and go fast boat wakes will sink you. I don't take my 20v lower than about the 34mm (Where Captain Ron's is located). Up in the higher mile markers, like 42 and above, you can find some nice water in coves. If you're going on a non-holiday weekend it'll be even better.

Any specific questions? I'm pretty familiar with it.

Yes we will be bringing the Comp down, we will be planning a weeks vacation and spending most days on the water but also wanting to go do some off lake activities and sight seeing. So where are good places to stay, or stay away from. All information at this point is good info since we just started talking about it. I am sure once we narrow it down I will have lots more questions.

Zim
09-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Yes we will be bringing the Comp down, we will be planning a weeks vacation and spending most days on the water but also wanting to go do some off lake activities and sight seeing. So where are good places to stay, or stay away from. All information at this point is good info since we just started talking about it. I am sure once we narrow it down I will have lots more questions.

Well, I'll start by saying my opinion is going to be coming from a single guy, with no kids. My experience at the Ozarks has been the occasional lake weekend back when I was in college. I'd get an invite to go to the lake and be on some pretty big boats out in the party cove. That being said, it's been a while since I had a party cove visit, and I've settled down a lot, boating priorities change, etc.

The way the lake is set up, it's basically a big river. The real busy areas are on the Gravois Arm, or down around the 1-35 mile markers. If you're looking for smooth water, I'd stay away from anything on the Gravois Arm, or lower mile markers than the 34. There's some nice water, but it gets very busy very early at that part of the lake, because there's lots of on-water bars and people like to show off their big boats and go-fast boats. My recommendation would be to get on VRBO.com and find a house for rent on the lake around the Laurie, MO area, or anywhere above mile marker 40. If you like visiting places on the lake to go eat or have a drink, there's still some good spots up in that part of the lake. Big Dicks is up around the 43 MM, captain Rons is on the 34mm which would also be a good spot to stay for your family. Lots of daytime activities if you aren't on the boat, and family friendly. You'll fight rough water at captain ron's though from about noon to 5 or 6 if you're boating around there during those times.

No matter where you're at, if you head up the lake to the higher mile markers, there's lots of coves that you can ski/board in all day long if you wanted to. Especially if you get up into the 60's. The lake goes all the way up to 93 I believe, which is where Truman Lake dumps into the Ozarks.

If you've never been to the Ozarks, it's very unique. Lots of on water bars, but in your comp I'd be weary about going to too many unless you stay in the non busy areas. You'll take a beating getting there, and between all the boats and the waves, it's like playing dodge ball out there. Also, don't count on anyone being sober. Lots of drunkards on that lake especially towards the bars.

As far as off lake activities, there's lots of shopping on the main drag in Lake Ozark, as well as other attractions, but I'm not as familiar with that stuff. I mainly stay on the lake when I'm there. I've been lucky, a friend of mine has a place up in Laurie so I get to haul my boat down there and leave it at their dock while I'm there. Never had problems up around there place on the 53MM area, and can play on the water all day if I wanted to. During the week will be much calmer than weekends, because pretty much everyone from KC and STL come to the lake for the weekends every weekend. Holiday weekends are even worse.

Not sure what your family likes to do, but I'd recommend really looking at Captain Ron's. They have houses you can rent, have beach volleyball, a restaurant, among many other things that would make for a fun time. They also have slips that you can slip your boat in, and have a ramp right there, so it's easy. If you're looking for a little more on the calm side of things, look at renting a house up around Laurie.

If you want to gamble on rough water, check for places around Lake Ozarks. It's a huge lake, lots to do, and would take years to explore fully.

If you like how this all sounds, but don't want a super busy lake experience, drive a little further south and go to Table Rock. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

cjtpilot
09-22-2014, 01:48 PM
Well, I'll start by saying my opinion is going to be coming from a single guy, with no kids. My experience at the Ozarks has been the occasional lake weekend back when I was in college. I'd get an invite to go to the lake and be on some pretty big boats out in the party cove. That being said, it's been a while since I had a party cove visit, and I've settled down a lot, boating priorities change, etc.

The way the lake is set up, it's basically a big river. The real busy areas are on the Gravois Arm, or down around the 1-35 mile markers. If you're looking for smooth water, I'd stay away from anything on the Gravois Arm, or lower mile markers than the 34. There's some nice water, but it gets very busy very early at that part of the lake, because there's lots of on-water bars and people like to show off their big boats and go-fast boats. My recommendation would be to get on VRBO.com and find a house for rent on the lake around the Laurie, MO area, or anywhere above mile marker 40. If you like visiting places on the lake to go eat or have a drink, there's still some good spots up in that part of the lake. Big Dicks is up around the 43 MM, captain Rons is on the 34mm which would also be a good spot to stay for your family. Lots of daytime activities if you aren't on the boat, and family friendly. You'll fight rough water at captain ron's though from about noon to 5 or 6 if you're boating around there during those times.

No matter where you're at, if you head up the lake to the higher mile markers, there's lots of coves that you can ski/board in all day long if you wanted to. Especially if you get up into the 60's. The lake goes all the way up to 93 I believe, which is where Truman Lake dumps into the Ozarks.

If you've never been to the Ozarks, it's very unique. Lots of on water bars, but in your comp I'd be weary about going to too many unless you stay in the non busy areas. You'll take a beating getting there, and between all the boats and the waves, it's like playing dodge ball out there. Also, don't count on anyone being sober. Lots of drunkards on that lake especially towards the bars.

As far as off lake activities, there's lots of shopping on the main drag in Lake Ozark, as well as other attractions, but I'm not as familiar with that stuff. I mainly stay on the lake when I'm there. I've been lucky, a friend of mine has a place up in Laurie so I get to haul my boat down there and leave it at their dock while I'm there. Never had problems up around there place on the 53MM area, and can play on the water all day if I wanted to. During the week will be much calmer than weekends, because pretty much everyone from KC and STL come to the lake for the weekends every weekend. Holiday weekends are even worse.

Not sure what your family likes to do, but I'd recommend really looking at Captain Ron's. They have houses you can rent, have beach volleyball, a restaurant, among many other things that would make for a fun time. They also have slips that you can slip your boat in, and have a ramp right there, so it's easy. If you're looking for a little more on the calm side of things, look at renting a house up around Laurie.

If you want to gamble on rough water, check for places around Lake Ozarks. It's a huge lake, lots to do, and would take years to explore fully.

If you like how this all sounds, but don't want a super busy lake experience, drive a little further south and go to Table Rock. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, that will help a lot!!

dmax43
10-15-2014, 09:36 PM
PM me if you want. Been going to the Lake since early 80's.

michael hunter
10-16-2014, 08:22 AM
If you want warm clean water tons of camping with areas that are butter all day and still have an area that has a party cove, water park, beach horse riding and track line. I recommend Lake Lanier GA try to set your plans so you can attend one of the full moon party's.

cjtpilot
10-16-2014, 08:36 AM
If you want warm clean water tons of camping with areas that are butter all day and still have an area that has a party cove, water park, beach horse riding and track line. I recommend Lake Lanier GA try to set your plans so you can attend one of the full moon party's.
I will have to look into this also, although GA is a lot further drive.

michael hunter
10-16-2014, 05:48 PM
It will take you 12 hours after you hit 65 south.

dirtydawg
10-24-2014, 09:17 PM
I live 3 hours from Lake of the Ozarks. I recommend looking at a map and find the Niangua arm. It may be labeled as Little Niangua, but either way that part of the lake durring peak season is best suited for ski boats.
If you bring a Comp, you will want to stay away from the main lake unless you are very adventurous.
Still the arm is huge and you'll find smooth water with little effort.