PDA

View Full Version : Winter storage cover

Cusefan78
09-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Looking for ideas on a winter cover. Should I buy a winter cover or shrink wrap it. What cover should I get if I went the cover route

Ptownkid
09-22-2014, 04:51 PM
I just use a new tarp...tent it up high, strap it on snug and done.

Jetlink
09-23-2014, 12:14 AM
I personally would not shrink wrap my boat. Buddy of mine is a dealer and had a boat on consignment over a winter season. The owner wanted his boat shrink wrapped but in clear so you could still see inside the boat for showing. We placed a remote thermometer with humidity sensor in the boat. The temp never got below 60 degrees with close to 100% humidity all winter long even with an outside temp of teens and low 20's. Stunk of mold and mildew in the spring.

Cusefan78
09-23-2014, 07:13 AM
Did he install vents. Also I'm pretty sure that's why most people use white so it reflects the sun. Clear seems like a really bad idea

cjtpilot
09-23-2014, 08:40 AM
I would NEVER store my boat outside in the winter so the regular cover works just fine.

Cusefan78
09-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Well thanks for that but until I build my barn on at my cottage it's staying outside. Looks like I'm going to skrink wrap it. Found a deal on a gun

crystal waters
09-23-2014, 10:32 AM
Well thanks for that but until I build my barn on at my cottage it's staying outside. Looks like I'm going to skrink wrap it. Found a deal on a gun

Remove all possible interior and store inside at home or garage.
Ensure all hull openings etc are closed tight re mice.
Place a container of chemical dehumidifier in the boat.
Put vinyl protectant on the interior you cannot remove.
However before all of the above I would look far and long for a neighbour or friend who may have garage space unused that you could store indoors with.
Personally I would never store outdoors period!

Jetlink
09-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Did he install vents. Also I'm pretty sure that's why most people use white so it reflects the sun. Clear seems like a really bad idea

Did the same thing last year just for fun in one that was wrapped in white after trying a blue wrapped one the previous year. No better on any of them.

Cusefan78
09-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Jet, where vents installed? I have friends that own a marina near me that the shrink wrap 500 boats a season. They told me the only time problems occurre is when vents aren't installed. There has to be something to this. Marinas are filled all over the north east with shrink wrapped boats. Until I have time to build my barn on my island the boat stays outside. IS it ideal, no but it is what it is. My days of trailering boats back and forth over the border are over.

blackout_58
09-23-2014, 10:36 PM
Cover it with a heavy duty tarp and make sure it's vented and you should be ok. I've been doing it for 3 years now and my boat looks relatively new compared to others that store outside. Be sure to keep it covered down to the trailer. Just my 4 cents.

Moor
09-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Remove all possible interior and store inside at home or garage.
Ensure all hull openings etc are closed tight re mice.
Place a container of chemical dehumidifier in the boat.
Put vinyl protectant on the interior you cannot remove.
However before all of the above I would look far and long for a neighbour or friend who may have garage space unused that you could store indoors with.
Personally I would never store outdoors period!

+1 inside is always best. if not remove as much interior as you can, store inside and use lots of the dehimidifier bags.

CornRickey
09-24-2014, 10:37 PM
I would not use the chemical desiccant. It does not last more than a couple weeks then you have to change it out which is difficult when shrink wrapped. I would recommend electric dehumidifiers. I use them in my r and boat. They work great.