PDA

View Full Version : Winterized😥

Cusefan78
09-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Sadly after a great weekend of skiing with my friends on the lake I pulled my supra out this morning and winterized it. Couldn't ask for a better weekend. The lake was glass for 4 straight days, 85 degrees and sunny. I couldn't ask for a better end of my boating season. between my cottage and two others we had 29 guys all skiers. Ran my supra and two mastercrafts hard. What a blast. Unfortunately the beer kicked in so no pics.

Back to winterizing. Did it a little different this year. Changed the oil, drained all the water then i drilled a hole in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. Installed a barb fitting disconnected the hose in front of the strainer and attached a hose from the bucket to where the strainer feed hose was. Filled the bucket with rv antifreeze and turned on the boat. Ran it till all the fluid was gone and antifreeze ran out of the exhaust. Checked the manifolds and they are filled with antifreeze. Then I fogged the cylinders bumped the key a few times to coat the walls. Installed the spark plugs. Lastly i pulled the impeller and the batteries. Before I cover it for the year I'm going to tape up the exhaust flaps and let the boat dry completely. I order a dr skrink propane gun and am going to shrink wrap it in a few weeks. Spoke with a guy from dr shrink. Going to install 4 vents and add some of those things to suck in any moisture. Lastly will add bounce sheets to make sure no mice find a home.

If any one is interested. There are plugs on the back of both manifolds. One plug on each side of the block, one plug on the j pipe next to the impeller and a drain plug on the tranny cooler. This is for a 5.8 pcm.

chris young
09-29-2014, 03:27 PM
So soon? Nice weekend to end the season though. I had the same conditions up the road, and skied as much as I could for Saturday and Sunday. Boat will come out on (Canadian) thanksgiving. Good luck with the shrink.

cjtpilot
09-29-2014, 03:37 PM
I just can't get myself to winterize yet........ Although did enjoy as much water time as I could since this may have been the last nice weekend.

Cusefan78
09-29-2014, 03:58 PM
Chris I usually keep it in till Canadian thanksgiving but the water level has dropped quicker then normal. I don't like keeping the boat in the water if I can't use the lift. Plus I'm planning on recribbing the boat house in the next few weeks so it would have been in the way. Plus if it's nice I'll just crash your boating party. :)

meteorman
09-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Going to follow a very similar procedure - in fact my dr. shrink stuff showed up today. I'm going to try to do it with a cheaper torch though. I was also thinking I'd load the antifreeze into the engine and then drain everything the idea being it would ideally be empty but anything residual would be antifreeze. Really the only reason I want to do the antifreeze at all is that I have a heater and I'm worried that it might be tough to get all of the water out of it. Good thought on putting some tape on the exhaust flaps, never heard of doing that before.

Jetlink
09-29-2014, 10:26 PM
If any one is interested. There are plugs on the back of both manifolds. One plug on each side of the block, one plug on the j pipe next to the impeller and a drain plug on the tranny cooler. This is for a 5.8 pcm.

There are five plugs in total that get pulled on the 351W when draining the block, manifolds and the water pump. Plus all the hoses that I disconnect as well.

Cusefan78
09-29-2014, 10:46 PM
5 plugs plus the tranny cooler. Why do people drain the antifreeze out? I was told it help fight rust in the manifold and passage ways. As for the heater and shower. I find it's easier to blow those out. Heater I installed a t on both lines and both with valves. Open both up connect compressor to one and water comes out the other. As for shower I unscrew the hot and cold feeds and drain. Unhook the line from head to The pump and blow out.

Zim
09-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Can't do it yet. Have a good weekend coming up!

http://media2.kshb.com/weatherimages/2010_7_day_forecast.jpg

Bass Ackwardz
09-30-2014, 09:30 AM
Hell Yeah Mike! I have one last weekend planned for Oct. 11th with our lake friends and then its winterizing for me. I was going to take this weekend off, but I guess we are going to have to get out there.

Bill

Cusefan78
09-30-2014, 09:56 AM
50s at my cottage. Sad time of year.