PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded question!

mlaosa
10-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Hey guys, I'm needing some opinions, feedback, experiences. My 91 conbrio is in need of a stringer job. I already pulled the engine/trans, ripped up the floor (cap on), and already removed 95% of the PITA foam. So......... Here's my question-- I'm a senior master ford technician and don't have any problems working on engines, transmissions, electrical ect., but I'm not exactly a natural carpenter. I have read most of you guys' stringer resto posts over and over again and has really been helpful and some of you make it look REAL easy!! My problem is that first, I will NOT be doing a cap off stringer replace mainly due to the fact that my homeowner assoc. doesn't even allow us to keep boats in the driveway longer than a few days at a time and also because below the bow area is solid. I'm concerned about getting the stringers bedded properly. Do I need to put spacers between hull and stringers to prevent hard spots? If so what do I use? Another thing that bothers me is getting the engine mounting portion of the stringers set at the right height. The fiberglass work doesn't bother me. I got a quote here in Austin for around 3k just for the stringers. I don't mind doing the floors and carpet. Guess what I'm asking is how hard is it to get the stringers bedded, shaped correctly to the curvature of the hull? I know this topic has been gone over time and time again, but I guess just need some reinforcement. This is my 4th supra, just haven't tackled a stringer resto yet. Thanks in advance for any input!

jasun
10-07-2014, 08:25 AM
These are good questions. As far as bedding the stringers, I used quarter-inch pink Styrofoam insulation pieces to space mine. I used thickened polyester resin as my bedding material.
As I cut the old ones out and ground all of the old fiberglass off, I took a black sharpie and marked where the old one was about 2 feet at a time. When I had the whole stringer out, I had a marker line all the way down as to the alignment of the strainer.
To make sure that you get the engine compartment the right height, take lots of measurements. This is where I learned from my experience, as when I mounted the engine it was too high. I'm sure you know the motor mounts give a lot of leeway. I had to grind down my engine compartment re glass and gelcoat in order to get it the correct height.

As far as being a master carpenter, I think it is better if you are not. The tolerances of these boats were not very tight to begin with.

I still think that you would be better off doing a cap off restore.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasun
10-07-2014, 08:28 AM
http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/library/boat%20rebuild

Here is a link to all the pictures I took along the way.

mlaosa
10-07-2014, 11:56 AM
http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/library/boat%20rebuild

Here is a link to all the pictures I took along the way.

THANK YOU JASUN for the great information! Thats some great info. I'll defenitley use it.

mlaosa
10-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks a bunch Jasun! And thanks for the link to your resto. I'm going to try my best to pull the main stringers in one piece. They are really shot! But hey, I'm just going to take my time with it and hope I can have it ready by spring. Thanks again!