PDA

View Full Version : On board battery chargers.

cjtpilot
10-09-2014, 03:42 PM
So as I have been reading options for newer boats a lot advertise on board "Battery Chargers" and of course charge a pretty penny for this option. My question is doesn't the alternator charge the batteries once the engine is running? Or has the newer boats come up with some high tech way. To me sounds like just another way to nickle and dime the consumer.

Wylietunes
10-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Alternators are not battery chargers, especially for a house bank that is drawn off of for 4-6 hours while the engine is off. An alternators job is to run the normal systems and replenish the batteries after normal draws. Many of the electrical loads we has owners order or install on our boats, is above normal. With a short 15 minute trip back to the dock or ramp, an alternator will not recharge a low battery. This is where an actual battery charger, such as a marine on-board charger comes into the scheme. Its a well worth option for many, nut not a need for all.

cjtpilot
10-09-2014, 05:09 PM
Ah ok, then where does the battery charger get its power from? I guess since when I am out on my boat 90% of the time the engine is running.

wotan2525
10-09-2014, 06:01 PM
If you have after-market accessories (ahem.... stereo equipment) and extra battery banks, an on-board charger is a must. You just plug it into the 120v from your house or garage when you come off the lake.

It also helps condition your batteries and keep them in good condition. Nothing worse than replacing batteries all the time.

You can buy the NOCO Genius Chargers for a very good price on Amazon. I love mine.

Wylietunes
10-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Ah ok, then where does the battery charger get its power from? I guess since when I am out on my boat 90% of the time the engine is running.

An on-board charger is a shore power charger that gets plugged into 110v A/C when the boat is docked/stored.

cjtpilot
10-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Ok, it made it seem like these chargers worked without being plugged in to a wall outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SquamInboards
10-10-2014, 09:45 AM
I put a solar panel in my bow hatch that trickle charges my deep cycle accessory battery, and I have abused that battery (i.e. used it the way it's intended and discharged it many times) and this was its 5th season in my boat. I don't keep the boat where I would feel comfortable plugging it in, so it's a nice way to top off the battery, and I never have to touch it!

cjtpilot
10-10-2014, 10:42 AM
I put a solar panel in my bow hatch that trickle charges my deep cycle accessory battery, and I have abused that battery (i.e. used it the way it's intended and discharged it many times) and this was its 5th season in my boat. I don't keep the boat where I would feel comfortable plugging it in, so it's a nice way to top off the battery, and I never have to touch it!
Now this sounds interesting, please share more details, where you got it, pictures, etc......

SquamInboards
10-15-2014, 11:02 AM
Now this sounds interesting, please share more details, where you got it, pictures, etc......
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss116/stepper61/panel1.jpg

This isn't a good picture, I realized I don't have any that really show the panel. I'll get one next time I'm at the boat. But you can see the hatch, and there's a white blob in the middle, that's the panel. It's about 8" x 8" I think.

Basically it's a small panel, about $40? And I will have to see if it has the output printed on it somewhere. It's not a lot, maybe an 1-2 amps @ 12V with full sun. But my boat faces southwest and get a lot of sun (unfortunately for the gelcoat) and it seems to do a good job keeping up the battery. It's hard to say for certain, since I've never had a dead battery with this setup, but it was easy to install and it's nice peace of mind. Speaking of installation, I used a strip of 3M double-sided tape all the way around the edge of it, to the bottom of the lexan hatch, and it's stayed firmly attached for at least 5 years now, maybe more.

I really should test the output of the panel on a sunny day, I'll be sure to post the results if I do. And I'll get a better picture!