PDA

View Full Version : Hydrolock from being towed?

jasun
10-17-2014, 01:49 PM
A buddy of mine has a 1999 bravo that recently got hydro-locked. I had towed him and with my supra a couple weeks ago because his starter died. His mechanic is telling him that it probably got hydro-locked from towing. Would this be because the engine was not running and when we stopped there was no pressure to keep the water from entering the risers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wotan2525
10-17-2014, 02:36 PM
I think the mechanic is full of shit.

The risers are designed to prevent the exhaust side of the engine from water. That is why they "rise" above the water level. Water can't flow up-hill.

My .02 -- his starter was not the problem. He was hydrolocked before you towed him. The starter appeared to be bad since the engine was locked up.

CornRickey
10-17-2014, 04:17 PM
How did the starter fail? Slow crank could have been from compressing water

michael hunter
10-17-2014, 05:27 PM
Did the engine get hot before the starter failed.

Cusefan78
10-17-2014, 06:17 PM
I bet the head gasket went bad and hydrolocked the motor. Starter appeared bad because it couldn't turn the motor. The mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about and he should find a new mechanic.

jasun
10-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Not sure what lead up to the starter failing. He was pulling his kids tubing. Stopped and would not start again. Got a new starter and put it on. Apparently burnt that one up and broke 2 spark plugs. His mechanic didn't work on it, just sold him the starters. I told him we need to check it before he messes with it. Leak down and compression.

jasun
10-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Also said there was no milky oil when he checked it.

CornRickey
10-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Broke spark plugs? I have never heard of a hydrolock specifically cause broken spark plugs but if it was catastrophic then broken parts secondary to the hyrdolock could. I think he is done...

mlaosa
10-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Jasun, I've seen engines hydro lock for several different reasons during my career as a tech. First thing I'd recommend is pulling all of the plugs and see if the engine will turn over and spin freely. Is his engine fuel injected or carbureted? If efi, it's possible for an injector to stick open and dump fuel into the cylinder causing hydro lock. Hard to tell without being able to see his engine in person.