PDA

View Full Version : Possible to install SurfSwell on 21v or other older Supra

carbonsurf
10-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Anyone look at installing SurfSwell on 21v or other older Supra?
You would need the 2014 Platform
SurfSwell kit
Lenco Helm controls
My Guess is it would cost 3 to 4K

Would it be worth it?

Sure would be fun to try!

2500HD
10-26-2014, 08:47 PM
I think you could get the cost down to around 800 if it wasn't automated. just need some big tabs and some fabricating

wolff
10-27-2014, 12:05 PM
I have been kicking this idea around I am looking at using lenco tabs and actuators they problem I see is the standard actuator only has a 2-1/4" stroke but they make one with 4-1/2 stroke but I can not find it on the internet with a tab kit ( I was looing at a kit with 9" wide and 12" long tab). With the 2-1/4" stroke using auto cad and depending on angle on the back of the boat where they are mounted I only can get about a 22 degree angle off the bottom of the boat with the 4-1/2 I can get about a 60 degree angle down. (supra is pushing there's down around 80 to 90 degrees I think).
In the next week or two I am going to mock this up out of wood and cardboard to see what kind of angles I can get with a 21v. I am afraid the plateform is going to be in the way with the longer stroke actuators. I want to make sure they can get up out of the way for wakeboarding.

Lenco also has a switch and controller that has led indicator where each tab is and a second power lead that when it lose power it will automatic raise the tabs all the way up.

2500HD
10-27-2014, 08:17 PM
what about having the actuator going to a cam, thereby extending the throw?

Launch242Worlds
12-26-2014, 12:21 PM
Wolff, I have been working on the same thing as you mentioned. I too am looking at the Lenco led switch route. The actuator that you mentioned with the longer stroke is the #15059-001 and #15060-001. What have you came up with for tab size/design? I am planning on making my own tab like the MasterCraft Gen2 tab. Check them out and let me know what you think.

trayson
12-26-2014, 03:55 PM
Might try copying the Moomba Auto Flow design.

http://b24s.ch/img/ins/Moomba-Mojo-AutoFlow-Surf-System_thumbnail_273902_2_470_1419339988.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/26/f0059fc9678cb65cc195a2e3e8e570e9.jpg

wolff
12-29-2014, 12:53 PM
I bought the edge mound 12"x 9" I only went 9" wide due to mounting the actuator with where the platform is mounted.
I am planning on getting my boat move from storage to my shop either tonight or tomorrow. only thing I am missing right now for the system is the controller. (it is on back order)
I went with the 4-1/4" stroke actuator and it takes a special controller same price as the other one but programmed different.

I wanted something to use as a base and I got the abilities to modify or make different shaped tabs but I was going to try the standard one out first.

I have check out the mastercraft tabs. I surfed a x10 and like the wake than look at the tab here is a pic and that is how I also based my size of tab

here is a pic of the tab on a x10 (21' mastercraft) and that was what I was thinking for my 21v

2500HD
02-15-2015, 10:52 AM
any developments?

wolff
02-16-2015, 02:50 PM
I have been working on my tabs I got the boat in the shop my haul has a 1/2" step on the back where the tab will mount. so half the tab will have a aluminum spacer a friend is drilling and taping the spacer so it will mount on the boat and the tab will mount to them.
one of my problems is I can not mount the actuator high enough due to the swim plateform. So I am going to make some custom plates to go on the bottom with some type of fine on the bottom to direct the water.
we plan on going to the STL Boat show the 1st week of march and measure the different setup other boats have.

A guy on the Moomba site is testing a tab set up right now he is having a problem with the surf side tab affect the wake when it is all they way up.

we got 8" of snow in IL today and I will not be do any water testing till april or may.

2500HD
02-16-2015, 04:46 PM
I'm probably going to make my own setup in the spring. I too have a problem with clearance between the swim deck and bottom of boat so mounting it like the moomba design probably won't work. I'm looking at maybe using one of my swim platform brackets as a mounting point for the top of the actuator there by achieving an angle similar to the swell system.
Not sure if you have seen this but these guys have a pretty cool setup. http://www.gosurfassist.com/home-page.html

Rakkasanscout187
03-01-2015, 04:38 PM
I'm going to have the guys over at Gosurfassist do the install on there surf-tabs. Do to me being overseas until mid June im not in any hurry, but I will for sure leave some feedback on here when I get home. By the way they will be going on a 2006 Supra 21v.

carbonsurf
03-21-2015, 06:02 PM
Very interested in the gosurfassist but for $3500 + a new platform 1k, Considering a used 2014 SC, SA.

Would like to see full detailed pictures of before and after and write up.

Rakkasanscout187
03-22-2015, 04:53 PM
I agree after its all said and done its going to be close too 5 grand worth of upgrades, but that is still cheaper then $40 grand to upgrade to a new SC or SA. Ill be home in mid June and will for sure take some pictures of the install and wave.

carbonsurf
03-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Ya 40K is allot of dough!

I was thinking of buying used or demo to take the sting out of the deal, but still 20 to 30k.

Swamplandkarl
05-02-2015, 10:56 PM
Im having the go surf assist installed on May 22nd.Ill update everyone when I get it back....

Rakkasanscout187
05-02-2015, 11:45 PM
Swamplandkarl- My boat will be in Wichita Falls on May 18th for the install. You will probably see it up there. Black and tan 2006 21v. I am really looking forward to getting these things installed on top of the new surf swim platform.

Swamplandkarl
05-03-2015, 01:41 AM
Swamplandkarl- My boat will be in Wichita Falls on May 18th for the install. You will probably see it up there. Black and tan 2006 21v. I am really looking forward to getting these things installed on top of the new surf swim platform.

I cant wait...Ryan and his wife came by my house about a week ago and looked at my boat, great folks, I live outside of Shreveport about 5 hrs from Wichita so its a little haul for me.
I was going to install it myself but he advised against it being it will require some custom brackets so I agreed to go to him to let them do it and we can take it to the lake there to test before I make the trip home.
Ryan had a whole kit with him and it is pretty impressive and is very well made.
I wanted to take it that day as well but I think there slammed with a lot of installs....

Rakkasanscout187
05-03-2015, 11:11 AM
He is about 5 hours from me as well. Ryan has been awesome to work with and has been very patient with me. Due to me being overseas, trying to figure out the logistics of getting the boat to him has taken work. Luckily I've got a good friend back home that has volunteered to take the boat to him and pick it up. Ryan said he would need it for about four days because he is going to have to make some custom mounting brackets to make the tabs sit flush. I really wish I was home to take it to him. So I could take the boat out with Ryan. Do you know if the kit will come with the wireless transfer remote or is that extra?

Swamplandkarl
05-03-2015, 11:22 PM
He is about 5 hours from me as well. Ryan has been awesome to work with and has been very patient with me. Due to me being overseas, trying to figure out the logistics of getting the boat to him has taken work. Luckily I've got a good friend back home that has volunteered to take the boat to him and pick it up. Ryan said he would need it for about four days because he is going to have to make some custom mounting brackets to make the tabs sit flush. I really wish I was home to take it to him. So I could take the boat out with Ryan. Do you know if the kit will come with the wireless transfer remote or is that extra?

I'm not sure if it comes with it or not, I'll ask when I'm over there...
I'm just hoping we have some good weather that week...

tmino03
05-04-2015, 02:15 PM
it is possible. I had just finished fabrication and attaching to my 2001 supra launch.

tmino03
05-04-2015, 02:21 PM
im having trouble uploading the pictures

tmino03
05-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Anyone look at installing SurfSwell on 21v or other older Supra?
You would need the 2014 Platform
SurfSwell kit
Lenco Helm controls
My Guess is it would cost 3 to 4K

Would it be worth it?

Sure would be fun to try!

Here. I made these this spring. 1570515705

2500HD
05-04-2015, 03:50 PM
it is possible. I had just finished fabrication and attaching to my 2001 supra launch.

i'm very interested to see how this works out on your hull. Please post after your sea trials.

tmino03
05-04-2015, 04:00 PM
i'm very interested to see how this works out on your hull. Please post after your sea trials.

It should work fine. Finishing up a few final things and hopefully by the weekend test it. It should work fine. The principle is to delay convergence. The boat already has a really nice wave. Size and shape. This hopefully will make it so I will not have to weight the boat to one side. Makes things for convenient

tmino03
05-04-2015, 04:06 PM
As far as control system I'm using the lenco trim switch with the led indicator lights. Eventually I'm going to make a control system using a frequency analyzer to pick up the paddle wheel wave form. Put a pot on it to adjust the the frequency for them to kick another circuit to auto retract them over 15 mph.

tmino03
05-09-2015, 07:10 PM

I have videos coming. It works perfect. Both sides and switches fast. Awesome push and size running 400lb stock tank with an 800 lb sac on each side on the engine. Only two people in the boat. 1571215713

The pics are just from 400lbs stock ballast filled

2500HD
05-10-2015, 09:41 AM
Looks pretty sweet, Your design is exactly what i was talking about earlier in this thread. Glad it works well.

Swamplandkarl
05-28-2015, 02:46 PM
I cant wait...Ryan and his wife came by my house about a week ago and looked at my boat, great folks, I live outside of Shreveport about 5 hrs from Wichita so its a little haul for me.
I was going to install it myself but he advised against it being it will require some custom brackets so I agreed to go to him to let them do it and we can take it to the lake there to test before I make the trip home.
Ryan had a whole kit with him and it is pretty impressive and is very well made.
I wanted to take it that day as well but I think there slammed with a lot of installs....

Was able to get my boat over to Ryan's at gosurfassist last weekend and the system works awesome, we are having major rain fall here so i'm not able to get it out to play with it but will post the results soon......
we did however take it out before I left his shop and the wind was blowing 20mph+ blowing the white caps in the boat but still made a very nice wave....

Rakkasanscout187
05-29-2015, 12:20 AM
Swamplandkarl- Talked to Ryan the other day and he was telling me about a Supra they did that put out a OUTSTANDING wave. My boat was up there while your was there. Looking forward to see some pictures of the wave. Congrats!

Swamplandkarl
05-29-2015, 10:43 AM
Swamplandkarl- Talked to Ryan the other day and he was telling me about a Supra they did that put out a OUTSTANDING wave. My boat was up there while your was there. Looking forward to see some pictures of the wave. Congrats!

I seen your boat there, I believe they were working on it when I left......you will be pleased..:-)

Rakkasanscout187
05-29-2015, 12:54 PM
Should be done today and a buddy of mine is headed down tomorrow to pick it up for me. What Supra do you have?

Swamplandkarl
05-29-2015, 11:42 PM
Should be done today and a buddy of mine is headed down tomorrow to pick it up for me. What Supra do you have?

2010 sunsport 20v

tmino03
06-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Looks pretty sweet, Your design is exactly what i was talking about earlier in this thread. Glad it works well.

Here's a pic to give you an idea of the wave size. 15843

Rakkasanscout187
06-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Wave looks outstanding!

Zim
06-01-2015, 05:18 PM
2010 sunsport 20v

you have any video of your 20 with the surf assist?

Swamplandkarl
06-08-2015, 11:59 PM
you have any video of your 20 with the surf assist?

We have major flooding here in the Shreveport area and the river and most lakes are closed...I've only used it one day and the wave was perfect and have not been able to get back out.
I will get some video when we are able to get on some water and post it...

devovino
06-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Here's a pic to give you an idea of the wave size. 15843

Thats a nice wave! Out of curiosity, how were you able to feed the cable from the actuator to the switch, did you route it through the transom? Also, what actuators did you use? I was looking online and saw these: http://www.harleerod.com/insta-trim-boating-marine-trim-tab-kit-12x11-2014/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0
However, it appears that the application is designed to be mounted on the transom, and like most I don't have room to do so? I like your setup, and how you mounted it to the swim step bracket.

2500HD
06-10-2015, 09:36 AM
those are hydraulic actuators, i would probably only use electric actuators like lenco or bennett bolt. Mainly because the hydraulic lines would be difficult to deal with and usually kinda messy.

devovino
06-10-2015, 12:27 PM
those are hydraulic actuators, i would probably only use electric actuators like lenco or bennett bolt. Mainly because the hydraulic lines would be difficult to deal with and usually kinda messy.

Copy that, it might simplify things to just use electrical actuators. I just liked how they came as a kit with everything needed, but the pump and mounting it muddies things a bit.

2500HD
06-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Copy that, it might simplify things to just use electrical actuators. I just liked how they came as a kit with everything needed, but the pump and mounting it muddies things a bit.

This is what i was looking at before i spent all my money fixing a cracked head
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LENCO-MARINE-COMPLETE-TRIM-TAB-KIT-WITH-TACTILE-SWITCHES-12-x-12-NEW-/321767931145?hash=item4aeadcfd09&vxp=mtr

Ptownkid
06-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Here. I made these this spring. 1570515705

I would love to see some multiple angle pics of this...

devovino
06-10-2015, 08:52 PM
This is what i was looking at before i spent all my money fixing a cracked head
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LENCO-MARINE-COMPLETE-TRIM-TAB-KIT-WITH-TACTILE-SWITCHES-12-x-12-NEW-/321767931145?hash=item4aeadcfd09&vxp=mtr

Cracked head blows! I am working out some issues with my boats starting at the moment (but you might allready know this) but a little easier than a cracked head. I like those actuators above, I wonder what the stroke/throw of the actuator is? I will have to take some measurements when I get home too see how much space I have to mount these, I know not a lot, but mounting them similarly to how tmino03 is an option. I have wanted to improve on the "wake gate" I made last year, it was crude but worked well. Onward and upward!

2500HD
06-27-2015, 09:43 PM
Got all the parts and will test tomorrow. Then i'll start tweaking.
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a494/2500hd1/0627151836_zps7ermd3u9.jpg
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a494/2500hd1/0627151837_zpsd7ylouak.jpg
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a494/2500hd1/0627151838_zpsp7myfpef.jpg

tmino03
06-30-2015, 09:32 AM
thank you, I used the lenco 102xd with the 4.25 stroke. I routed the cable into the tubing I used for the support bracket and fed it through the transom, sealed it up with 3m marine adhesive.

Thats a nice wave! Out of curiosity, how were you able to feed the cable from the actuator to the switch, did you route it through the transom? Also, what actuators did you use? I was looking online and saw these: http://www.harleerod.com/insta-trim-boating-marine-trim-tab-kit-12x11-2014/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0
However, it appears that the application is designed to be mounted on the transom, and like most I don't have room to do so? I like your setup, and how you mounted it to the swim step bracket.

pridekit
07-06-2015, 12:40 PM
thank you, I used the lenco 102xd with the 4.25 stroke. I routed the cable into the tubing I used for the support bracket and fed it through the transom, sealed it up with 3m marine adhesive.

Any chance that we could get some measurements of the tabs?

Eled92
08-31-2015, 11:54 PM
I'm getting go surf assist on my 99 supra santera this week. I'm sure Ryan will make a demo video on it and post it on the go surf assist facebook. It will have 2 750 lbs bags in the back. Pretty excited

CJD
09-08-2015, 02:28 PM
Interesting thread...I took a trip to the Supra dealer today to see how the tabs on the new boats work, so I can get up to speed. For those who have installed, are you just using sheet metal screws into the transom, or are you going all the way through with machine bolts and nuts on the inside? Has anyone got around to trying different plate shapes? How about optimum angles?

2500HD
09-09-2015, 07:08 PM
Interesting thread...I took a trip to the Supra dealer today to see how the tabs on the new boats work, so I can get up to speed. For those who have installed, are you just using sheet metal screws into the transom, or are you going all the way through with machine bolts and nuts on the inside? Has anyone got around to trying different plate shapes? How about optimum angles?

Mine is attached with large screws and 5200 as per the manufacturer Lenco's instructions. I haven't gotten around to trying different size or shapes yet, i'll probably fab something up in the spring. It just works to well right now to dick around with it. I believe mine go down to 13 or 14 degree's. kinda hard to figure with the curved transom.

CJD
09-11-2015, 10:26 AM
So, I guess those are sheet metal screws set in a 1-1/4" deep hole for each. I'm trying to get my head around how much load these tabs will see. Your tabs look very large, with about 14 degrees...vs the new Moombas I looked at are very small with almost 90 degrees. With 14 degree deflection I would not think the shape of the tab would have much affect. But, with 90 degrees the tab shape would seem very important.

This definitely sounds like a winter project. The other thing I am having trouble wrapping my head around is the $4k kit cost. I am not seeing anything in the kit that warrants that kind of cost. Possibly the dedicated controller??

2500HD
09-11-2015, 09:19 PM
So, I guess those are sheet metal screws set in a 1-1/4" deep hole for each. I'm trying to get my head around how much load these tabs will see. Your tabs look very large, with about 14 degrees...vs the new Moombas I looked at are very small with almost 90 degrees. With 14 degree deflection I would not think the shape of the tab would have much affect. But, with 90 degrees the tab shape would seem very important.

This definitely sounds like a winter project. The other thing I am having trouble wrapping my head around is the $4k kit cost. I am not seeing anything in the kit that warrants that kind of cost. Possibly the dedicated controller??

Mine are just standard lenco trim tabs. you can see everything on my wakeshaper thread in the modifications section.

CJD
09-14-2015, 07:51 PM
Thanks. Trying to find time to read through that thread. It looks like you started with the side gates, but switched to the side tabs...?

2500HD
09-14-2015, 09:13 PM
Thanks. Trying to find time to read through that thread. It looks like you started with the side gates, but switched to the side tabs...?

I would just skip to page 9, The thread is from all the way back to 2013 and starts with my old saltare then proceeds to my newer 2000 santera. I started with a ghetto gate but hated storing it. I then came up with a permanent rudder type design and progressed on to the vertical tabs.

bradycanderson
09-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Check Wakeland Manufacturing. They may have an aftermarket setup just for your boat. It'll cost around 3.5K to have it built / installed.

CJD
09-18-2015, 10:11 AM
I would just skip to page 9, The thread is from all the way back to 2013 and starts with my old saltare then proceeds to my newer 2000 santera. I started with a ghetto gate but hated storing it. I then came up with a permanent rudder type design and progressed on to the vertical tabs.

Finally got through the threads. Impressive HD...you have given a try to just about every option there is! I take it the current powered trim tab set up is your favorite?

Brady, thanks for the tip! This sounds like a good winter project.

2500HD
09-18-2015, 01:59 PM
Finally got through the threads. Impressive HD...you have given a try to just about every option there is! I take it the current powered trim tab set up is your favorite?

Brady, thanks for the tip! This sounds like a good winter project.

Yep, i definitely prefer the tabs. I like the convenience of the push button as well as the shape of the wave and the control of the steering, not only while underway but when pulling up to a downed rider. But every boat is different and every rider is different. I would suggest just whipping out a simple ghetto gate and try that first. Then progress from there.

tmino03
04-08-2016, 01:34 PM
I would love to see some multiple angle pics of this...