PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Claim

Stal1026
11-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Happy Halloween to me and my crew. Boat was pretty much put away for the year. Just had a few odds and ends left to complete for winter. Received a terrible text message informing us that a giant tree branch had fallen onto our boat. We decided to leave the tower on this year and just remove the speakers for winter. Thank god we did otherwise this tree would have destroyed our windshield and a bunch more of the interior. Hopefully state farm will not give me any trouble with the repairs and cost. Back bench interior destroyed, cushions destroyed, custom cover destroyed, tower speaker destroyed and carpet destroyed. Going to say around 3000 for repairs. I need a cover I wont be able to sleep with just shitty tarps covering my precious wood stringers all winter. Just had to share with fellow supra owners.

Cusefan78
11-02-2014, 08:51 AM
Wow sorry that happened. That has been one of my biggest fears the past two years. Keep us posted

bunji169
11-03-2014, 12:01 PM
That Sucks. Hopefully insurance company doesn't rule it an "Act Of God". That's their typical go to for trying to avoid paying claims. Good luck. Fingers Crossed....Let us know what happens.

jasun
11-03-2014, 01:54 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I asked my State Farm agent about storage insurance, and he told me that mine covered everything all the way down to if A mouse gets in there and chews it up. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
11-03-2014, 04:14 PM
you'll be fine with state farm. "Sudden/accidental" is what this is and they'll pay without much hassle. If you do the legwork to get estimates for repairs, it will help speed things along. You'll also likely have a low deductible for something like this.

And the boat cover is an integral part of the boat itself, so argue that the cover gets repaired/replaced too as a part of the claim.

cadunkle
11-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Please let us know how the claim and payout goes. Lots of insurance threads out there about pricing and so forth but very few claims to judge what companies are worth our business.

CornRickey
11-04-2014, 01:19 AM
The cover is a grand by itself. I think 3k is under estimating it.

jzelt
11-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Yeah, and check your floor. I think there may be a hole, and some stringer damage, and then there is the some fiberglass...Hopefully they will get you a "new" boat:)
I haven't had any issue with State Farm, course we pay them enough not to with only 1 claim against the truck...
Hope it goes good for you.

Stal1026
11-06-2014, 05:26 PM
UPDATE ON CLAIM-Was able to get a quote, from pictures I sent to a company. $5300. The carpet replacement he estimated around 2000? Has anyone replaced carpet or had it done? Cost? Difficulty level? Can I replace the carpet myself? Has anyone removed carpet and put down a sea deck/foam type material? Would use the extra cash for fresh air. Boat is going into a different shop saturday for a quote.

thanks and I will let you guys know what happens.

cjtpilot
11-06-2014, 05:58 PM
UPDATE ON CLAIM-Was able to get a quote, from pictures I sent to a company. $5300. The carpet replacement he estimated around 2000? Has anyone replaced carpet or had it done? Cost? Difficulty level? Can I replace the carpet myself? Has anyone removed carpet and put down a sea deck/foam type material? Would use the extra cash for fresh air. Boat is going into a different shop saturday for a quote.

$2000 for carpet!!!!???? I am doing my carpet myself this winter and estimated about $160-$200, for 2k you should be able to redo it in Teak.

Cusefan78
11-06-2014, 07:10 PM
Carpet is easy. Pull it up sand down the old adhesive and glue down the new one. Think there was a post about seadeck on here a few years ago.

trayson
11-06-2014, 08:03 PM

Keep in mind a couple things:
1) whatever you get as your settlement offer from State Farm, you can take the money and use it however you choose. You don't have to get your work done at shop A or shop B or even at any shop.
2) Too high of estimate and you'll be transferred to their total loss division where you'll then have to go through a valuation of your boat and then they'll have to do a valuation of the salvage value for you to buy it back, and then you're gonna end up with a boat that has a salvage title.

If you get $5k estimate and you can fix stuff yourself for $1k, then do it and pocket the difference.

James
11-07-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm pretty sure boats don't have salvage titles... I bought a boat that state farm salvaged after the guy hit a log underwater.... Title was no different than any other title I have ever seen

wotan2525
11-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Might vary by state but at least in MN and WI there is no salvage or branded title on a boat. The insurance companies may fuss about insuring something with a previous "total loss" associated with it, though.

Carpet is easy. I used indoor/outdoor carpet from the orange store about 7 years ago and it still looks great. I doubt I have $200 and a full saturday worth of labor into it.

Stal1026
11-12-2014, 05:09 PM
Insurance claim update

State farm is cutting a check for 5500. Boat will have new carpet, back bench and new cover. Have to say state farm has been very good and I did not have to argue to get things paid for. Getting it all done, do not have the time to deal with the carpet in the spring.

trayson
11-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Insurance claim update

State farm is cutting a check for 5500. Boat will have new carpet, back bench and new cover. Have to say state farm has been very good and I did not have to argue to get things paid for. Getting it all done, do not have the time to deal with the carpet in the spring.

That has been my exact experience with State Farm. They come back with fair estimates of repair costs and value of insured items. So much so that like yourself, they aren't even worth arguing.

My camping trailer was totaled recently and they came back with a value that was pretty dead on market value. I would have been hard pressed trying to argue for more. That's really nice when it's that easy.