PDA

View Full Version : Stringers??????

cjtpilot
11-06-2014, 10:38 AM
So just out of curiosity for those that rehab the older boats, why do you replace with wood stringers? Why don't you use the composite decking boards used for decks?

Jetlink
11-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Ease of shaping and working with wood over the other materials would be my guess. Curious what others come up with though.

jasun
11-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Composite deck boards are not load baring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michael hunter
11-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Bottom line is the wood stringers used in the boats to start with were mostly untreated with no limber holes to let water out combine that wit the open cell foam to hold the water in and you have a wood rot disaster. In spite of all these factors the boats still lasted 20 plus years. Anyone doing a stringer job today with the upgrade on materials and workmanship will have a boat that will probably last twice that. Wood is relatively cheap and is easy to work with.

CornRickey
11-10-2014, 01:29 AM
Using the glassing tech. seen in the thread, you could probably use untreated wood and get twice the longevity but who wouldn't pay the little extra for pressure treated.

Jetlink
11-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Using the glassing tech. seen in the thread, you could probably use untreated wood and get twice the longevity but who wouldn't pay the little extra for pressure treated.

In my experience, pressure treated lumber has a tendency to warp in almost all applications. If you glass in your stringers how Michael Hunter has done on his '84 Comp though, the wood is entirely encased and sealed unlike how all these boats came from the factory.

CornRickey
11-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Wood (treated or not) warps due to poor materials and/or uneven drying. If you choose pieces that are more quarter sawed than flat heart wood you will have less /no warping. Encasing it in glass will eliminate uneven drying.

dirtydawg
11-11-2014, 02:10 AM
composite decking is way to weak and pliable. Wood is many times stronger. I took the "once and done" approach and used african mahogany. Straight grain with no tendency to warp, twist, crack or rot. A bit on the heavy side but the stringers will outlast the hull.15305

Jetlink
11-11-2014, 11:45 AM
There is building, over-building and then there is what Dirtydawg did. :D

dirtydawg
11-12-2014, 10:18 AM
There is building, over-building and then there is what Dirtydawg did. :D

Well being a cabinet maker made the material more accessible. If I remember correctly the lumber cost was around $600. But doing all the labor kind of makes justifiable in a way. All though it was almost to pretty to glass over...

Okie Boarder
11-12-2014, 06:55 PM
The composite is quite a bit more expensive and the structural aspect is a problem, like already mentioned.