PDA

View Full Version : bogging out trouble

corley
05-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Please help! I have a 99 Santera that I just purchased. Ran fine for test but ever since then it is bogging down about 2-3 min after plain. Acts like it is loading up. Changed spatrk plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and drained old gas and filled with new. Still have same problem. Acts just like a fuel filter is clogged. Boat never will die and will idle around the ;lake all day long with no issues. Runs like a dream for the first 2-3 min and then just boggs down. I have to sit and idle for 2-3 min bef,ore it will clear up and go again but only to repeat! Any ideas??? 317-710-0183 or [email protected] thanks

DKJBama92Mariah
05-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Check and see if the fuel tank vent is clogged. The quick and easy way is to do a test run with the gas cap loosened enough to let air in there.

1986Marauder
05-14-2007, 10:17 AM
If it is a carburated engine your floats could be sticking. Could be your fuel pump but doubt it. Open box, remove air filter, run it on plane and watch to see if it quits spraying fuel in the 2 main barrels. My money is on your floats sticking.

DKJBama92Mariah
05-14-2007, 11:41 AM
I'll take that bet :D

kcsideways
05-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Try tapping around on the float bowls with a plastic handle screwdriver. If the fuel flow is still looking good when on plane and you are still bogging down, put a few sungs on the 4 carb mounting bolts to make sure you are not sucking air through the carb gasket once the motor gets heated up.

1986Marauder
05-16-2007, 02:03 AM
Bama, you're probably smart taking that bet since it could be 1 of 200 things that could cause his problem. I just spit out a place for him to start kinda of like you did. Check for easy things to fix and hope it is just that. I don't want to scare him and say hey your heads are screwed, you got bent valves that have scored the block and screwed up your pistons. This scenario is totally possible w/ what he is describing, but lets hope this is not the case. :D

DKJBama92Mariah
05-16-2007, 12:34 PM
You're right marauder. I was a little punchy there. Sorry if i offended. I agree, start with the simple and cheap/free stuff.

1986Marauder
05-17-2007, 01:21 AM
Bama, definitely no offense taken. We are just trying to help people out, sorry if I came across defensive that was'nt my intension. Corley, has any of these suggestions helped? There is a vast knowledge here at your disposal, pleas give us some feed back.