PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Log Dripless Fitting access on VDrive

meteorman
02-05-2015, 04:12 PM
I don’t know about you guys but I can’t wait for warmer weather and I’m already starting to think about what I will need to do when it’s time to bring the boat out of hibernation. One of the issues I had last season was a frequent need for the bilge pump to run – say every 15 to 20 minutes while out on the water. There was a boat yard that did some work on my boat shortly before I bought it and I’ve found problems with literally everything else they touched so my suspicion is that they did something wrong when they replaced the strut, shaft, and dripless fitting after the previous owner had a prop strike. It’s a big block & v-drive though so it’s pretty tight in there to see and work on the components. It’s possible I just need to tighten the jam nut, or could be something worse. What’s the trick to getting at these components to diagnose and fix?

CJD
02-05-2015, 04:36 PM
My log leaked about a gallon every 3 minutes. The PO had slit a hose and clamped it around the log to prevent the prop shaft from slinging the leaking water all over the bilge. I removed the hose contraption and hand tightened the jam nut. That's all it took. The poor shmoe spent 10 times the effort treating the symptoms when all it needed was a quick twist.

So, I'd check it first. It's likely fine and just needs adjusting.

CornRickey
02-08-2015, 10:35 PM
His is dripless.

meteorman
02-09-2015, 10:15 PM
I don't know the details on these fittings but the dripless still has a jam nut to tighten, correct?

docdrs
02-10-2015, 02:51 AM
His is 2006 and oem was not dripless till 2008 I believe......so unles it was replaced with one then he may have a jam nut .......regardless the alignment should be checked first as the most knowledgeable mechanic may have no clue how to perform this simple task correctly........and why would you not want your boat aligned properly........do a search........if. A dripless was installed then that's a whole other beast that has been diagnosed on here as well

meteorman
02-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Hmmm ... the mystery deepens. The receipt I have for the work says "dripless assembly" for $298. So it's possible they upgraded it at the time. That's a good call on the alignment. Seems I need to get back up there and take a look to see what's actually installed on my boat.