PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl cleaning

Bazel
05-21-2007, 03:00 PM
I have seen and heard of different warnings and recommendations on cleaning products. Specifically CC said not to use Fantastic and I heard SC said not to use Magic Eraser.

What is the recommended products for my 06 24 SSV? I want to keep her looking good.

OUI
05-22-2007, 10:19 AM
I use both and recommend them highly. Don't know why or who CC or SC is and why they would not recommend either product. Don't use Armoral or any other petrolum based products.

FlyruH2O
05-22-2007, 10:43 AM
The recommendations are endless. I have been told to use a mix of vinegar and water, several people swear by this so-called harmless productive approach. I have bought guaranteed marine vinyl cleaning products, also used fantastic, and tried 5 to 1 soap to water ratio, etc... I was just recently told that in order to get rid of some mold (I bought a project boat) that I had to kill it first. It was recommended that I use a heavy mix of bleach with water and rinse real well (I don't think I would try this on some new seats). Good luck figuring out what to use. I just keep trying em' knowing I will replace interior in a year or two. I bet many others will agree that the regular maintenance/cleaning is the best remedy.

(I have no idea whether the suggestions I provided are helpful or harmful to your vinyl)
I hope others will share their vinyl safe secrets.

IndyMatt
05-22-2007, 12:12 PM
The literature with my 04 Sunsport specifically recomends Fantastic & I have used it for both interior and exterior since picking up my boat- Still shines like new. I agree, stay away from the petrolium products, even the ones specifically designed for vinyl. The problem is they saturate the stitching and break the threads down over time. I had a repair shop suggest a mixture of Johnsons Baby Shampoo and warm water for general cleaning... works well and smells pretty good also.

H2Oman
05-22-2007, 07:12 PM
I use 303 and Vinylex. The Vinylex seems to clean better and both are great protectants. When I have something needing more power I use Woolite, warm water and a terry towel - for carpet and seats.