PDA

View Full Version : Teak Oil

cjtpilot
02-11-2015, 01:50 PM
I am adding some teak to my Comp this winter and building a wood swim deck to replace the fiberglass one. So with several different brands out there which is the best Teak Oil to use? I am in the midwest, boat is kept on trailer while not in use covered.

Cusefan78
02-11-2015, 06:22 PM
This is the recipe I got off team talk. Works great and lasts way longer then any teak oil on the market.

I use 75 % linseed oil / 25% mineral spirits. Teak oil is too heavy for my preference. Once a season is all I have to tend this one....trick that I have learned with my preferred mixture is to brush the oil on and leave it for an hour or so but not long enough for the excess to start drying in excess. Wipe the excess off very good and let each coat dry for 24-48 hours. Don't rely on any excess to soak in.....not the way it works for best results that I have experienced. Also pick a warmer time to do the project. Cooler temps (in the 50s) make for a long (and tacky) dry time....two coats total is all I ever use. Takes about 3/4 cup per coat for two sides.

CornRickey
02-12-2015, 11:04 AM
Boilded Linseed Oil has no UV and little to no other protective properties. Additionally it does not dry, it cures and this is why you do not want to leave any pools of it. BLO is better used in the furniture/woodworking arena where the figure of the wood wants to be brought out then finished with a actual protective finish. Remember it will self combust rags of not taken care of properly.

Cusefan78
02-12-2015, 01:41 PM
I have been using the recipe for years and have had zero problems. There is a thread on team talk that shows the different results this mix hands down better then any teak oil out there.

CornRickey
02-12-2015, 04:38 PM
Never said you would have a problem. BLO's lack of protection (what some seem to think it is for) had been a topic of discussion forever in the professional woodworking area. For the sake of our discussion that would be referring to antioxidation. Any oil based finish with no pigment has little to no protection. Teak had such little ability to absorb oils, any clear, none film forming finish is short lived. This coming from many years of wood working and a owner of a 1100sqft Maranti (mahogany) deck in the Pacific Northwest. That being said I would never apply a film forming finish to anything your not willing to strip once every other year.