PDA

View Full Version : My 1986 supra comp ts6m limited edition

Inflame
05-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Well, its got 1767 hours on the clock and it needs quite a bit of work =( haha... I got it for 700$ from a friend and I need a trailer! haha well I also need new seats, carpeting, back bench, some engine components or hell a whole new engine! And yes I am 16 years old =)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/Inflame1/boat012.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/Inflame1/boat011.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/Inflame1/boat010.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/Inflame1/boat009.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/Inflame1/boat008.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/Inflame1/boat007.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/Inflame1/boat006.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/Inflame1/boat005.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/Inflame1/boat004.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/Inflame1/boat003.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/Inflame1/boat002.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/Inflame1/boat001.jpg

Pdowling1
05-21-2007, 10:48 PM
I read only 176.7 hours on that clock, barely broke in, but unfotunately not well maintained.

Inflame
05-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Oh god i just realized that also!!!!! thanks for pointing that out

DKJBama92Mariah
05-22-2007, 01:54 AM
Congrats. You've got a boat. It's a great project boat. Alot of TLC and a fair amount of $$$ will bring her back.

The hull and running gear look good. Like the have 167 hrs on them.

The gelcoat on the sides is VERY oxidized. The boat was probably never waxed and stayed on a lift for years on end. It will need to be wetsanded and then buffed with a high speed wheel and polishing compound. Then wax religiously to keep the oxidation from coming back. That would bring it back to a pretty decent shine and color. With this method, you must either wax religiously or store the boat out of the sun.

Do you have tools? Are you gonna do the motor work yourself? It might be alright with a few new parts and some light assembly work. It really doesnt look too bad for a twenty year motor.

As far as the vinyl is concerned, dont count it out just yet. It may just have a protective coat of gunk on it. Go to work on it with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and follow up with some 303 Aerospace protectant and see what the results give you. You might be able to live with it.

Good luck and shout back at us and let us know how its coming. Everyone here can offer a wealth of knowledge. So dont hesitate to ask a question.

Cheers,
DKJ

DKJBama92Mariah
05-22-2007, 02:05 AM
Well, the engine doesn't look bad EXCEPT the fact that the PCV hose is connected to the alternator shaft and a squirrel just might pop his head out of that intake manifold when you least expect it. :D

IndyMatt
05-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Looks like a great project boat. Like a house, start with the foundation. Address stringer and floor repairs. It will be great to clean it all up and put on a spit shine, but nows the time to fix the fundamentals. The down side is the wood floor, by the looks of your cover.... probably some interior repairs needed. Check your stringers by turning th emotor mounts clockwise, if they turn freely, the bolts are rotted out & need to be repaired before all the other stuff!! Dont be discouraged.... thats the joy of project boats~ Enjoy... maybe you can get er done by the time your old enough to drink!

Inflame
05-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Looks like a great project boat. Like a house, start with the foundation. Address stringer and floor repairs. It will be great to clean it all up and put on a spit shine, but nows the time to fix the fundamentals. The down side is the wood floor, by the looks of your cover.... probably some interior repairs needed. Check your stringers by turning th emotor mounts clockwise, if they turn freely, the bolts are rotted out & need to be repaired before all the other stuff!! Dont be discouraged.... thats the joy of project boats~ Enjoy... maybe you can get er done by the time your old enough to drink!

Ya we bought it not to long ago, and its been sitting up north at our friends cottage for quite some time! I'm funding most of this project but my parents are going to help out on the really expensive stuff =) My uncle knows a lot about boats himself (owning a 1989 fountain) and he stops by to help me out also...

First thing i'm gunna do is clean the whole boat up, geting the leaves, dirt, etc off of it to see if anything is cracked... then start getting a bunch of parts that could need replacement... I don't think the floor or stringers have rotted since its only had 176 hours of use

Inflame
05-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Any engine components for a 351W would work for this engine correct? or would only certain years work? Also, say I went to a junk yard and looked for a car with a similar engine, which one would it be?

DKJBama92Mariah
05-22-2007, 04:18 PM
The engine was in alot of Ford fullsize trucks and vans. That being said. Some stuff wont interchange. The crank, rods, pistons, and block are the same. The cam, heads, valves, and ALL electrical parts are marine specific. Discount inboard marine www.skidim.com is an excellent source for non-major parts. Just so you know, the distributor, alternator, carb, and starter are marine specific parts that MUST be replaced with marine units. I'd put what you have back together and try and run it on a water hose before i started throwing money at parts.

Inflame
05-22-2007, 04:26 PM
The engine was in alot of Ford fullsize trucks and vans. That being said. Some stuff wont interchange. The crank, rods, pistons, and block are the same. The cam, heads, valves, and ALL electrical parts are marine specific. Discount inboard marine www.skidim.com is an excellent source for non-major parts. Just so you know, the distributor, alternator, carb, and starter are marine specific parts that MUST be replaced with marine units. I'd put what you have back together and try and run it on a water hose before i started throwing money at parts.

Thank you! But first I know i have to replace the pulleys and get a new carb, clean out the intake, etc..

Anyone have a trailer for sale?

DKJBama92Mariah
05-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Those pulleys can be kinda expensive; about $230. If the rust is only surface rust, i'd go to work with a wire brush on a drill and a can of spray paint. Just a thought. Its a cheap fix and it sure wont hurt to spent $10 on a wire brush and some spray paint to at least give it a shot.

For that alternator, i bet its still got some life left in it. Take it to an alternator shop and get it rebuilt with new bearings and cleaned up. They'll be able to tell you if it works also.

Inflame
05-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Those pulleys can be kinda expensive; about $230. If the rust is only surface rust, i'd go to work with a wire brush on a drill and a can of spray paint. Just a thought. Its a cheap fix and it sure wont hurt to spent $10 on a wire brush and some spray paint to at least give it a shot.

If its really bad, I"ll just remake them out of aluminum... I'm a machinist! yes i'm only 16 but we have a mill and lathe in the garage, so I can make my own parts... I also weld =)

DKJBama92Mariah
05-22-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm a machinist! yes i'm only 16 but we have a mill and lathe in the garage, so I can make my own parts... I also weld =)

That ROCKS man. Wish i had access to that kind of equipment. Keep the posts and pics coming. I'm really looking forward to seeing this boat take shape.

DKJ

Inflame
05-22-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm a machinist! yes i'm only 16 but we have a mill and lathe in the garage, so I can make my own parts... I also weld =)

That ROCKS man. Wish i had access to that kind of equipment. Keep the posts and pics coming. I'm really looking forward to seeing this boat take shape.

DKJ

Ya but we need a cover and a trailer first to inspect the whole hull, I believe the insulation is done for also =(... needs new speakers too

I'm pretty new to this boating stuff, so I don't know all the pumps, blowers and other lines go and what I should/shouldn't replace immediately =(

In 1 month I'm going to poland so I'm gunna try to do as much as I can until then, probably rip alot out to check everything

Do you guys know where I can get a trailer for this bad boy? Somewhere near Detroit, Michigan please

Inflame
05-23-2007, 08:06 PM
well i'm getting the pulleys off, but the one with 4 bolts, I can't get it off! I got 3 of them off but I can't figure out away to stop the pulley from turning!!!

Help =)

IndyMatt
05-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Just FYI... the condition of the floor & stringers have nothing to do with use hours. Its still a 23 year old boat with wood components. Proceed at your own perille but if you want some free advice... dont build a great house on a weak foundation. In fact... I would probably pull the motor & get it repaired and functional on a stand where its easier to access. If its been sitting a long time without a carb, your piston rings are probably shot & you will need a rebuild. Also be very careful using non-marine components. That would be the time to refurb the inside of the boat. Im sure shaft allignment is due anyway. Good luck

Inflame
05-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Just FYI... the condition of the floor & stringers have nothing to do with use hours. Its still a 23 year old boat with wood components. Proceed at your own perille but if you want some free advice... dont build a great house on a weak foundation. In fact... I would probably pull the motor & get it repaired and functional on a stand where its easier to access. If its been sitting a long time without a carb, your piston rings are probably shot & you will need a rebuild. Also be very careful using non-marine components. That would be the time to refurb the inside of the boat. Im sure shaft allignment is due anyway. Good luck

Ya we are going to pull the motor and stuff when we get a engine hoist...

Well got the pulleys off, but I don't know what one of them are.... When looking at the engine, its the bottom left with NO bolts, its a solid pulley hooked up to some kind of a pump

DKJBama92Mariah
05-24-2007, 02:51 AM
Well got the pulleys off, but I don't know what one of them are.... When looking at the engine, its the bottom left with NO bolts, its a solid pulley hooked up to some kind of a pump

That's your raw water pump. It's the pump that sucks water out of the lake up and into the engine. The impeller inside that pump is a normal maintenance item. Replaced every 1-2 years. The one in there is certainly shot.

Inflame
05-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Well it looks like it might be sold soon... =( I really want to keep it but my dad and my uncle are going to selling it to his neighbor for 800$... hopefully he backs out :cry:

Jpshaff01
05-31-2007, 06:29 PM
Too bad you might have to sell, i wouldnt sell it for 800 anyway, if you put it on ebay it would probably sell for more even though it isnt in great shape.

I have a similar 86 comp limited edition but it burgundy and grey.

If you have to replace the stringers be sure to replace the rudder box and drive shaft support(it has a specific name, can't remember). When i bought mine it had brand new stringers but the rest of the wood was also bad, so it had to be replaced at a hefty cost which could been lower if done at the same time as the stringers by the previous owner.

Check out wakeworld.com too they have a bunch of knowledge on that forum and would love to see this project all the way through.

I live right by you in Rochester Hills, good luck and if you keep it i would stay away from club royale in waterford. They don't place much value in the older boat owners.[/img]

Inflame
06-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Too bad you might have to sell, i wouldnt sell it for 800 anyway, if you put it on ebay it would probably sell for more even though it isnt in great shape.

I have a similar 86 comp limited edition but it burgundy and grey.

If you have to replace the stringers be sure to replace the rudder box and drive shaft support(it has a specific name, can't remember). When i bought mine it had brand new stringers but the rest of the wood was also bad, so it had to be replaced at a hefty cost which could been lower if done at the same time as the stringers by the previous owner.

Check out wakeworld.com too they have a bunch of knowledge on that forum and would love to see this project all the way through.

I live right by you in Rochester Hills, good luck and if you keep it i would stay away from club royale in waterford. They don't place much value in the older boat owners.[/img]

Ya the guys coming tomorrow to look at it, I hope to god he doesn't take it, but my dad doesn't really want it sitting there... I haven't worked on it because whats the point if its going to be gone in a couple days... I have big plans for this boat... big plans =(