PDA

View Full Version : 21V Swim Deck Bracket Repair

mark1500
02-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Let me first say hi, long time lurker, not much to say.

Well I wanted to share some info on the swim bracket attachments I have read quite a bit about, but found little info as most seem to go to the dealer.

This started with me making a new swim deck to emulate the newer decks that cut in quite a bit to keep out of the surf wake. The brackets needed a refresh (paint) and while doing this I noticed there was a crack in the gelcoat running down from the bracket on both sides. My brackets have always had play in them, this is a 2008 21V I bought new in January 2009, and I have read this has caused such issues to arise.

I proceeded to remove the bracket and cut the floor in the locker to investigate. There is a steel plate that backs the bracket, but only the botttom 2 screws went through it, the top three where just through fiberglass, not sure if this was the way it was suppost to be or not, but i redrilled the plate and added new stainless bolts, washers and lock nuts. No way this thing is going anywhere. Oh and it had pulled away some as there where remnants of water leaking in through the bottom holes. This was just one side, we will see what is going on tomorrow on the other side.

New Supras are awesome, would love to have one, just can't justify with how much we hit he lake these days, but I do have some upgrades I am working on after this to hopefully get the surf wake on par with the wakeboard wake.

here are the pics, hope I can get them to upload.

Thanks, Mark

mark1500
02-25-2015, 10:48 PM
Couple more pics showing the new braket bolted in. I will fill with foam and glue the carpet back.

docdrs
02-25-2015, 11:57 PM
Nice work , thanks for the info

Salty87
02-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Def looks like a sturdy repair.

It's disappointing to see swim platforms are still not being installed properly. I realize factory and brand ownership has changed since the 80's but that's one of the exact problems that doomed many wooden stringer models to needing rebuilds.

leetudor
02-27-2015, 10:31 AM
I had to do that repair to a friends 21V last summer.

wotan2525
02-27-2015, 11:05 AM
Looks good. I'd skip the mess/hassle of the foam. It's all going to be hidden under the tank and it's not like a few liters of foam is going to make much of a difference.

leetudor
02-27-2015, 02:43 PM
I did not use foam on my buddies boat just glassed the hole up.