PDA

View Full Version : Technique for cutting HydroTurf?

jarodag99
03-05-2015, 11:45 AM
I've been debating between ordering Seadek and a DIY project using HydroTurf for my swim platform. I even called Viper Customs to see if they had any laying around and they had one cut for an 04 22SSV but they wanted the same price as ordering it from Seadek. So, to save some $, anyone have a good experience with HydroTurf? In particular, were you able to cut any custom designs or rout the edges? Pictures if you have 'em!

jarodag99
03-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Crickets! Seriously, no pictures out there of some custom hydroturf work? I've seen some of swim platform pads and flooring and it looks good. I just haven't found any pics of lettering or logos that have been cut by a DIYer. Guess if I figure out how to cut a custom design in it I will post a write-up!

lmnelson86
03-18-2015, 03:24 PM
I've been debating between ordering Seadek and a DIY project using HydroTurf for my swim platform. I even called Viper Customs to see if they had any laying around and they had one cut for an 04 22SSV but they wanted the same price as ordering it from Seadek. So, to save some $, anyone have a good experience with HydroTurf? In particular, were you able to cut any custom designs or rout the edges? Pictures if you have 'em!

Hydro Turf is a great product. I have been riding stand up jet skis since the age of 7, now 28, and have spent a lot of money on Hydro Turf. Very easy to work with and lasts a LONG time with constant abuse. Great customer service as well. You can buy "b sheets" for cheaper, usually with irregularities in them or overstock.

I find the easiest way to cut the turf is with a FRESH razor blade. I find that I grab a new blade every 4 or 5 feet of cutting done, because the turf really dulls the blades. Go to the hardware store and buy a "row" of razor blades for $5 and it'll be money well spent. I also have had good look with a good pair of scissors., which allows for better contour to edges and curves etc.

When installing hydroturf it is pretty obvious that you only use contact cement if you do not buy the 3m backed sheets. If you screw up while laying the turf, simply have a heat gun or hair dryer handy to warm up the glue and reposition. You may have to re-apply glue but that's no big deal. I prefer the 3m backed sheets

Use printer paper or tracing paper to make your pattern. Transfer to the turf. Oh, try flipping it over and cutting from the back (flat) side. Much easier to trace your pattern and cut clean

Good Luck!

jarodag99
04-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the post....now, to see how it turns out.

covertcombatant
06-05-2015, 03:27 AM
Any updates on how it turned out? I'd love to do my swim deck and the bow of my TS6M.

matt k
06-24-2015, 02:26 PM
likewise. my original black foamy deck stuff is in rough shape.

jarodag99
08-22-2015, 01:01 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/22/ed4d1b435798dcf1344510d06f8cfab1.jpg

jarodag99
08-22-2015, 01:02 PM
Happy with how it turned out but I decided not to get too crazy with a design so I followed the old crappy pad as a template

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

KajalMehta
08-25-2015, 03:48 AM
Great! nice conversation.