PDA

View Full Version : Independent volume control

jasun
03-15-2015, 11:12 PM
I'm working on a project for some rear facing speakers on my salt. I have the 4 6" "cabin" speakers and the sub on one amp and am putting the 2 rear speakers on their own amp. I want independent volume control on the rear but don't want to spend the 300 for the WS420. I was looking at the Kicker ZXMRLC. I'm not looking for EQ capabilities or a microphone. Anyone have any experience with this Unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wylietunes
03-15-2015, 11:29 PM
The ZXM-RLC is a true marine dual zone volume control. The control knobs can be surface mounted or panel mounted. The ZXM is a 9V per chnl Line driver for a strong clean source signal to the amps. The control knobs connect to the control module via data cables. This allows the module to be mounted close to the amps, resulting in short RCA cable runs.

jasun
03-16-2015, 05:13 AM
Thanks Wylie! Just wanted to confirm this would do what i thought and needed!!

wotan2525
03-16-2015, 10:42 AM
If you want to go the budget route..... http://www.amazon.com/PAC-LC-1-Remote-Amplifier-Controller/dp/B0002J226O

barelyfloating
03-16-2015, 08:55 PM
If you want to go the budget route..... http://www.amazon.com/PAC-LC-1-Remote-Amplifier-Controller/dp/B0002J226O

I like anything that works for less. I also ask too many questions. Regardless, if I wanted to isolate the tower speakers I'd just patch them through this device. That's it?

Wylietunes
03-16-2015, 10:19 PM
For a single zone like a sub or bow speakers, those LC-1's work great. But for for doing dual zones, the price climbs quick when you add in the 2 quality 17ft 4 chnl RCA cables when the amps are located over on the port side. The added cost of the ZXM gets you short RCA cables and that 9V line driver.

jasun
03-17-2015, 07:06 AM
If I go wotan's suggested route, will I need to split my RCA's at the head unit? My 2 amps sub and HU are all in the same area so I am not worried about having long runs of RCA's.

My thoughts are that if I use the pass through to get to the second amp, would turning the inboard speakers down also turn down the signal to the second amp?

Wylietunes
03-17-2015, 08:49 AM
If I go wotan's suggested route, will I need to split my RCA's at the head unit? My 2 amps sub and HU are all in the same area so I am not worried about having long runs of RCA's.

My thoughts are that if I use the pass through to get to the second amp, would turning the inboard speakers down also turn down the signal to the second amp?

If your head-unit only has a single RCA output, then yes, you will have to Y that output in order to feed two LC's. This drops the line voltage right off the bat. The ZXM only requires a signle RCA output pair and bumps the line level going to the amps.

If the head-unit, amps and knobs are all in the same area, then no, long RCAs are not needed. But if the equipment is located on the opposite side of the boat from the helm and you want control at the helm, then you will be making long runs. I dont know your exact set, but long RCAs is a consideration.

If you have a pre-amp line level control, then use a pass-thru output 2 a second amp, that single line level knob will thus control the volume to both those amps. The head-unit is already doing this.

wotan2525
03-17-2015, 02:49 PM
My head unit is at the helm so I only need to use (2) short RCA cables for my LCs. (3) sets of 5v pre-outs on the head-unit.

Set A goes to the in-boats
Set B goes to a PAC LC-1 and then to the sub-amp
Set C goes to a PAC LC-1 and then to the tower amp

Doing it this way gets me independent control of the sub and tower. I've yet to run into a situation where you want the tower speakers on with the inboats off -- but I could easily run another LC-1 for that.

Wylietunes
03-17-2015, 03:58 PM
I like to be able to turn down the in-boats and allow the towers to rip when my rider wants to jam to Bon Jovi and the passengers dont. :cool:

barelyfloating
03-17-2015, 06:04 PM
I've been looking for something like this, thank you!

jasun
03-18-2015, 12:44 PM
Any passenger who does not want to jam to Bon Jovi will not be a passenger of mine, because you know you've got to keep the faith.

Because all of my equipment is at the helm or under the helm, I am going to go with the LC-1. My inboard speakers and sub run off of the same amp so I will put one in line there. On my second pre-outs from my head unit, I will put one in line there to go to my 6 x 9 speakers and amp.thanks a lot for all of your guys help.