PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Supra Comp- rotten stringers??

Straitcountry86
03-19-2015, 09:36 PM
I've been in the market for an 80s Supra boat for some time now. Today I looked at an 85 comp that looks to be in decent shape. The hull looks good with no cracks. Motor starts and runs fine. Seats need to be recovered but otherwise the interior is pretty clean. Floors are all solid. Here is my only stumbling block on this boat. About half of the engine mount bolts will not torque down fully. They move with a decent amount of resistance. They aren't totally loose but they won't torque all the way either. However the mounts all look good and there's no cracking around them or anything. So far every boat I've looked at has had about the same thing where some of the bolts won't torque down fully.

The owner had the stringers and floors redone back in 2006. He showed me receipts and that was a $5k job. However that was 9 years ago. Could the stringers be rotting already? With some of the motor mount bolts not tightening, is that a definite sign to stay away? I'm torn because I like the boat but I don't want to end up having to do a stringer job. The owner wants $4500 for the boat. Your thoughts?

SquamInboards
03-20-2015, 08:45 AM
Wow. It's 'possible' that the stringers are rotted after 8 1/2 years. But not that likely. But then, he's only asking $4,500 for the boat? How many hours?

You can knock on the stringers (fairly gently) with a little hammer or something, to listen for 'hollow' sounds, or anything that doesn't sound solid behind the glass. The best way to really get a health check on the wood is to drill into the stringers near the motor mounts with a ~ 1/4" bit, so you get some nice chunks of sawdust to look at. Of course, the wood that comes out should be dry. I could understand someone NOT wanting to have you do this to their 'for sale' boat. I have done it to mine, and of course, you fill the holes with some good caulking after drilling. Some of my motor mount bolts do not tighten all the way, but the wood right near the bolt holes is very dry and clean. My stringers are original.

But anyway, stripped lag bolt holes are not the only method of checking for stringer rot. It just seems rather odd that if the stringers were truly, fully redone in '06 (for $5k I hope they were!) that the mount bolts would be stripped already.

wotan2525
03-20-2015, 10:57 AM
I also doubt they are rotten. I'd take the next size longer (or larger) bolt and see if you can get it to bite in and tighten. It's possible that someone overtightened the bolts and just stripped them out.

Straitcountry86
03-20-2015, 02:49 PM
Wow. It's 'possible' that the stringers are rotted after 8 1/2 years. But not that likely. But then, he's only asking $4,500 for the boat? How many hours?

You can knock on the stringers (fairly gently) with a little hammer or something, to listen for 'hollow' sounds, or anything that doesn't sound solid behind the glass. The best way to really get a health check on the wood is to drill into the stringers near the motor mounts with a ~ 1/4" bit, so you get some nice chunks of sawdust to look at. Of course, the wood that comes out should be dry. I could understand someone NOT wanting to have you do this to their 'for sale' boat. I have done it to mine, and of course, you fill the holes with some good caulking after drilling. Some of my motor mount bolts do not tighten all the way, but the wood right near the bolt holes is very dry and clean. My stringers are original.

But anyway, stripped lag bolt holes are not the only method of checking for stringer rot. It just seems rather odd that if the stringers were truly, fully redone in '06 (for $5k I hope they were!) that the mount bolts would be stripped already.

He is asking $5k, but said he would take $4500. I'm thinking of offering $4k and see if he'll take that. It might be worth the risk. The boat has at least 650 hours. The hour meter was stuck at 250 when he bought it, and he installed a new hour meter which now reads 400. So it's hard to say exactly how many hours are on it. Other than that the trailer is a little rusty and the fuel gauge doesn't work.

jasun
03-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Have you done a compression test on it? The last thing you want to do is buy it and have to rebuild the motor. Also check the oil and the transmission fluid and make sure it's not foamy or Milky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cusefan78
03-21-2015, 08:21 AM
I second the try a bigger bolt idea. My back engine mount bolt was stripped. Got a bigger bolt and it's all good

foxriverat
03-21-2015, 01:54 PM
Just buy this 92 comp and you dont have to worry about wood stringers http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/4941573161.html

Straitcountry86
03-22-2015, 01:00 AM
Thanks for all the tips. I decided to pull the trigger on this boat for $4k which seems like to a decent deal. I'm not too worried about the stringers being that they were replaced in late 2006. I have not checked compression on the engine, but she fires right up on first turn and sounds great, so I'm not worried. Oil looks good too. Now just can't wait to get her out on the water!

jasun
03-22-2015, 08:28 AM
Some pic of your new toy would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straitcountry86
03-23-2015, 04:20 PM
Here are the 2 pics I have so far. She does need some work on the gel coat to get the shine back, which should be no problem. I'm just happy to finally be a Supra owner!

Hagman
03-23-2015, 10:16 PM
156021560315604I kinda like the color. I purchased my super 1986 at the beginning of next year I was performing the spring maintenance and found two of my engine bolts would not tighten. Mounting bolts had been over tightened at the factory and were stripped I remove the bolts squirted some fiberglass in the whole and reinstalled the bolts. This fix lasted for many many years. Now after 28 years the time for the floor and stringer replacement is getting closer and closer. At this time floor seems solid but I'm sure the stringers are rotten. After talking to my boat repair guys. They informed me that the wood in the stringers is very little support. Most of the support comes from fiberglass surrounding the wood. The problem is if the wood is not solid there's nothing to both the motor to. This is my short-term fix really curious how long it will last. I installed 2 pieces of 2" x 3" quarter-inch thick angle iron to the sides of the stringers. The angle iron has been coded with epoxy primer and glued to fiberglass stringers with auto body strength epoxy.

Straitcountry86
03-23-2015, 11:46 PM
Great looking boat. You obviously took good care of it if the stringers lasted that long.