PDA

View Full Version : 89 Supra exhaust manifolds

Davo0291
04-07-2015, 10:50 PM
Hey guys new to the forum. I've been on the lake my whole life, but this is the first boat that I've owned. I LOVE it! Both valve covers are leaking oil from the bottom side. I can't get to them without removing the exhaust manifolds. As I proceeded to remove the manifold...snap there goes a bolt. Snap there goes another. So I stopped. Im also afraid of what the inside are going to look like. Should I remove mine and re-drill new bolt holes, or should I replace them? It is a PCM 351. Any help.would be greatly appreciated!

wotan2525
04-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Hey guys new to the forum. I've been on the lake my whole life, but this is the first boat that I've owned. I LOVE it! Both valve covers are leaking oil from the bottom side. I can't get to them without removing the exhaust manifolds. As I proceeded to remove the manifold...snap there goes a bolt. Snap there goes another. So I stopped. Im also afraid of what the inside are going to look like. Should I remove mine and re-drill new bolt holes, or should I replace them? It is a PCM 351. Any help.would be greatly appreciated!

Soak those manifold bolts in some penetrating oil, let sit, do it again, let sit, do it again. Use an impact wrench to try and break them loose. Hopefully your broken bolts will come out with some heat and vice grips and didn't break off flush with the block. No reason to replace the manifolds if they aren't leaking or cracked. Probably not a problem unless your boat has been used in salt.

foxriverat
04-08-2015, 04:55 PM
I used pb blaster on mine every day for a week and would lightly tap on them with hammer and chisel before attempting to remove. I held my breath and each one broke loose.

lively
04-13-2015, 02:37 PM
What engine does that have the Cleveland or the Windsor ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottschmitt
04-21-2015, 01:19 PM
Start with a big jug of patience.
Apply PB blaster.
Wait.
Apply more.
Wait.
Apply more.
Tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen. More PB blaster.
Repeat.
Maybe apply some heat (or not ... you are working in a bilge).
Repeat.
Good luck.
I changed my exhaust riser gaskets last year. 4 bolts a piece. All looked original to my 89 Sunsport. Each bolt took ~ 20 minutes to work free. I re-tapped the threads and put in new bolts with anti-seize. Might have gone faster with an impact wrench.