PDA

View Full Version : Hook up for vinyl skins for 1989 supra boat!

Nsschwenk
04-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Hey guys I'm trying to help a friend out by looking for a vinyl skin kit for his 1989 supra boat. His interior doesn't have any rips and the foam is still good so stapling skins over the old will work fine. Does anyone have any info for someone who makes these? I'm sure someone one out there has the old templates to reproduce all interior parts. Malibu boats have complete interior kits so supra should too.

wotan2525
04-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Hey guys I'm trying to help a friend out by looking for a vinyl skin kit for his 1989 supra boat. His interior doesn't have any rips and the foam is still good so stapling skins over the old will work fine. Does anyone have any info for someone who makes these? I'm sure someone one out there has the old templates to reproduce all interior parts. Malibu boats have complete interior kits so supra should too.

Malibu is the only company I've ever seen replacement skins made for. I think it's because there are a couple of guys that work at the factory that still make old interiors on the side. That being said, I know that they don't go back that far.... certainly not to 1989.

Your friend needs to have custom upholstery made. Tell us where he is located and maybe someone can recommend a person?

ckracing
04-08-2015, 11:58 AM
All templates and potential 'skins' for a boat of this vintage were lost in a plant fire at Supra. As mentioned, you'll need a custom upholstery.

Nsschwenk
04-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the info guys. We are located in Evansville, Indiana. Someone starting to reproduce these skins can be big business and a lot of the classic boats that are being restored and people will put the money into them. My friend is getting quotes of around $2000 currently and that doesn't seem correct for skins.

wotan2525
04-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the info guys. We are located in Evansville, Indiana. Someone starting to reproduce these skins can be big business and a lot of the classic boats that are being restored and people will put the money into them. My friend is getting quotes of around $2000 currently and that doesn't seem correct for skins.

The reason that there aren't (and won't be) a company selling original skins is because there was very little control at the factory with how things were sized and shaped. In later models, the seat bases and backs were formed from fiberglass and this required them to be molded (so they were all exactly the same.) In the earlier vintage boats everything was made out of wood and has probably been replaced or modified since it left the factory. Even if they were original bases and backs, the ones they were making on a Friday were probably different enough than the Monday ones that it doesn't work to swap them.

$2000 sounds pretty typical of what I've seen on here for an entire boat.

foxriverat
04-08-2015, 04:48 PM
I took my seat skins off 4 seat cushions and brought to local shop. They charged $75 a skin. Put them back on myself. Putting new vinyl over old could cause a mildew problem

scottschmitt
04-09-2015, 09:53 AM
Could check out copycat: http://copycatupholstery.com/index.html.

Straitcountry86
04-11-2015, 09:03 PM
I took my seat skins off 4 seat cushions and brought to local shop. They charged $75 a skin. Put them back on myself. Putting new vinyl over old could cause a mildew problem

Do you have the name and contact info of the shop? I'm from the same area and would like to do the same thing with my skins. $75 is a better price than I've been quoted. Did they do a good job?

foxriverat
04-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Do you have the name and contact info of the shop? I'm from the same area and would like to do the same thing with my skins. $75 is a better price than I've been quoted. Did they do a good job?

I went to Riggs bros in st charles. I work for UPS and I had there package car driver tell them I was coming in. Dont know if that helped with price. The manager Jon Revilla there gave me the price. 630-443-1717 They do good work. The white even matched my white. Didnt think that was going to be possible.