PDA

View Full Version : Hydrophase RideSteady GPS Install on 89 Supra Sunsport

dyost
04-10-2015, 03:11 AM
Please see this thread on Wakeworld for details/pics.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804365

Sorry to send to another thread, but this Supra thread only allows you to view photos if you're a member and signed in. So I thought there might be more value in putting it on wakeworld and referencing you guys there than the other way around cause the WW's wouldn't get to see the pics if not also on Supra forums.

This is the famed previous boat of Okie Boarder.

Let me know if anyone has any questions on the HydroPhase system. Hope to get everything dialed in this weekend and get the boat out for the first time since purchasing in Jan. The system is super easy to install and looks to be very well built. I talked at length with Justin at Hydrophase before purchasing. I also have a couple buddies who really recommended the system, saying it's way better than PP.

I went with the GPS version so I wouldn't have to drill a hole for the paddle wheel in the hull. Not that I'm scared to drill a hole... but I was more concerned about getting it in the correct place. They say if you unknowingly pick a spot where the water is turbulent under the hull that the paddle wheel might not pick up right. So I guess I was more concerned about not having to drill multiple holes. Justin said the GPS is more accurate as well (provided you don't ride rivers with strong currents of course). The GPS version is only $200 more than the classes, so figured why not?

All in the system is $1150, but you get a $100 credit back with a well documented install so they can build their library of manuals for other buyers.

leetudor
04-10-2015, 06:13 AM
Why did you choose that over Perfect Pass? It is only $45 less than Perfect Pass.

Okie Boarder
04-10-2015, 06:52 AM
Great install and great write up. I bet that will be nice.

dyost
04-10-2015, 02:19 PM
leetudor,

I didn't price perfect pass... I just looked though and you're right it looks like their aftermarket GPS system is $1195. I was under the impression it was closer to $1600. Mine will be $1050 after my install documentation rebate so I guess saving $150 is all vs. PP. The biggest benefit I've read on the Hydrophase system is that the system goes into a "stand-by" mode when the ignition is shut off, and keeps the satelitte signal for a few mins, where PP shuts down and has to triangulate a GPS heading everytime you shut the boat off/on. Hydrophase is ready to go right away.

I have a buddy who works in the wakeboat industry (and is an outlaw level rider), he put this system in his boat and swears by it. I took his recommendation fairly blindly because he definitely knows his sh!t and has pretty particular taste. He said Hydrophase completely out-performs PP. If it works for him I know it will work for me.

Will have a report when I get to test it out.

foxriverat
04-10-2015, 03:28 PM
After looking into the ridesteady looks to be more for recreational or practice skiing. No timer for slalom course. Doesnt look like you can map a course in gps either. Good for wakeboarding. But if you ski the course like I do. It wouldnt work for me.

Cusefan78
04-10-2015, 04:09 PM
I have ridesteady and love it. I was going to get perfect pass but after talking to them I was turned off. The owner of rs is great. I had an install question on a Sunday and he called me right back. I free ski and course ski and didn't really need the timing aspect. The days of needing that are well past me plus I will never give pp a dime after talking to them.

foxriverat
04-10-2015, 09:56 PM
Guys at pp have been good to me. The reason you map course. Or use timing magnets is so boat knows when your in course and adjusts rpms for your pull against boat. I'll be 55 this month. I don't see the days of not needing that passing me by for a long time. Most people here Wakeboard so the ridesteady is great for them.

dyost
04-11-2015, 01:39 AM
Yes you're right Hydrophase Ridesteady is more centered on wake boarding and managing speed on heavily weighted boats. It's been a while since I've used a PP system, since most the guys I ride with now have new Tiges and I'm guessing that's an in-house system with all the LCD screens and whatnot.... but the user interface on Ridesteady is sweet. The scrolling click-wheel is way better than having to press buttons 1 million times to navigate menus and adjust settings (assuming that is in fact how PP is still set up).

Another plus, Hyrdophase is based in good ol Texas (Austin), isn't PP Canadian? They probably both have a significant amount of content from China I'm guessing : (

Cusefan78
04-11-2015, 10:52 AM
I'm not saying pp isn't good. I had it on my last boat with timing. I'm 37 and have more fun these days free skiing with my buddies then I do chasing buoys. I used to clear at 28 off. Mostly as my friends and I got older they all stopped running courses so I followed suit. After the 100th fight with my girlfriend over speed I looked into getting new cruise. I started talking to pp but after getting jerked around I call ride steady. They were great and I didn't see the need for timing. Rs Gps holds speed to .1 mph even on my hardest cuts. That's plenty accurate for me. Anyone looking for cruise I would highly recommend rs gps. The ease of use and dialing it in set it apart from any cruise on the market. Plus their gauges don't look like something out of 1985.

foxriverat
04-11-2015, 07:23 PM
I could row the boat and your cuts wouldnt slow me down. LOL (I couldnt resist)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivdOCQJ8qN4

Cusefan78
04-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Yeah yeah yeah trying skiing with that heavy mount pulling the rope against you, plus that's a full length rope. But touché