PDA

View Full Version : Water leak

skiman_61
04-15-2015, 02:10 PM
I posted previously about getting a floor and stringers in my 87 Saltare'. I checked the bolts at the motor mounts. Everything is solid up there. I do have water coming in around one exhaust and a couple of small soft spots in the flooring, so a rebuild is inevitable at some point if I'm keeping the boat.

In the meanwhile, I'm hoping to do a temporary fix on the leak to get through another season. Haven't pulled the baffles yet, was thinking to seal around the pipe with a 3M product I saw mentioned on here. Thoughts?

Thanks!

wotan2525
04-15-2015, 02:38 PM
I posted previously about getting a floor and stringers in my 87 Saltare'. I checked the bolts at the motor mounts. Everything is solid up there. I do have water coming in around one exhaust and a couple of small soft spots in the flooring, so a rebuild is inevitable at some point if I'm keeping the boat.

In the meanwhile, I'm hoping to do a temporary fix on the leak to get through another season. Haven't pulled the baffles yet, was thinking to seal around the pipe with a 3M product I saw mentioned on here. Thoughts?

Thanks!

3M 4200 is what a lot of people have used. Be sure to take off the baffles and the flange and then clean the mounting surface. You may way to marine-tex the existing holes and then redrill to make sure you get a good "bite" with the screws when you put the flange back on.

I used black RTV as I wasn't sure how the temperature would do with the 4200. Either one should work fine since nobody on here has reported problems or leaks.

lively
04-15-2015, 04:43 PM
what he said for sure ! ^