PDA

View Full Version : Battery Selection

jwwalk
04-20-2015, 11:34 AM
Just curious what everybody uses for batteries (brand, size, AGM?)? I am looking to replace my battery on my 1989 Supra Conbrio (currntly have a 500CCA, 625MCA).

wotan2525
04-20-2015, 12:19 PM
Just curious what everybody uses for batteries (brand, size, AGM?)? I am looking to replace my battery on my 1989 Supra Conbrio (currntly have a 500CCA, 625MCA).

I use 3x Everstart Marine Maxx batteries from Wal-Mart. I believe they are Group 29. I believe they are the largest ones Wal-Mart sells. Cheap and I've had good luck with them.

jasun
04-20-2015, 09:06 PM
+1 for Wotan. I use 2. They have good cranking amps and for 90 bucks and 18 mo replacement with receipt, it's hard to beat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zim
04-21-2015, 03:19 PM
I use 2x Optima Blue top AGMs. 2 year free replacement included. With any battery, you just have to make sure they're maintained well and they should last for you. Can't leave batteries sitting in a storage unit after playing the stereo all day without a house charge. Every once in a while a good charge is needed on them.

Moor
04-21-2015, 04:19 PM
I use the highest cca Marine battery i can find, x2. Right now i have an interstate, and i believe the other is an everstart marine from wally world. They are both rated for 750 or 800cca, i dont remember which.

SquamInboards
04-22-2015, 08:54 AM
I keep one deep cycle and one starting battery, both with high amperage ratings. The deep cycle takes all the abuse of running things with the engine off. It is charged by the engine when running, and by a little solar panel too. The starting battery is, well, for starting only. As others have said, with proper maintenance these batteries can last a while, mine are from '09 (starting) and '10 (dc). They both took a charge well, but I will load-test them before installing them in the boat for the season.

If you're running a lot of stuff with the engine off, I can't recommend strongly enough that you have a deep cycle battery for this purpose. They are made to do that, whereas a starting battery will wear out quickly getting discharged like that on a regular basis.

kenn6752
04-22-2015, 09:56 AM
I use 3x Everstart Marine Maxx batteries from Wal-Mart. I believe they are Group 29. I believe they are the largest ones Wal-Mart sells. Cheap and I've had good luck with them.

I also settled into the Everstart Maxx's, 2 in '13 and added 2 more last year. 4 total was enough to provide juice for 3 days of running hard over a houseboat trip last summer. They seem pretty good for the coin.

jasun
04-22-2015, 01:04 PM
I keep one deep cycle and one starting battery, both with high amperage ratings. The deep cycle takes all the abuse of running things with the engine off. It is charged by the engine when running, and by a little solar panel too.

How many watt solar panel are you using? A buddy gave me an 80 W that I am going to put on my boat left to charge both the starting and house battery. I also have a small 10 W that I thought about mounting to the boat to charge it a little bit while I am out and about.

SquamInboards
04-22-2015, 03:03 PM
How many watt solar panel are you using? A buddy gave me an 80 W that I am going to put on my boat left to charge both the starting and house battery. I also have a small 10 W that I thought about mounting to the boat to charge it a little bit while I am out and about.

I'd have to check, if the label is still on there. Full disclosure: I have no real way of knowing if it works well, or even does anything. I've never actually tested it with a multimeter. I'll try to do that when I get the boat out in actual sunlight! I figure any small power input that's reasonably easy to set up is a good thing.

cadunkle
04-22-2015, 10:25 PM
I'm running a pair of marine batteries I bought at Advance maybe 2 years ago. One group 24 and another group 29, I believe the 29 is a deep cycle. Next time around I'm not going to be worried about marine or not. I'll just go with two of the best cca or lbs per dollar group 29 or 31 I can find. Upgraded to a pair of group 31 on my truck (factory 27 I believe) and couldn't be more pleased with the performance, and worked out to about $100/ea NAPA brand (probably Exide) price matching Tractor Supply. I'll compare to marine batteries and gr29 vs gr31 but bottom line will probably come down to the most lbs per dollar in that approximate size. Could go to a 4d or 8d but that's common off the shelf anywhere like the smaller sizes. With batteries bigger and heavier is always better. Your needs may differ from mine, I don't have any high amp draws when the boat is off, I just want peace of mind that over the course of a full day on the water there's highpoint that will result in a failure to start.

On another note I have been considering relocating my batteries under the port storage cubby under the windshield to gain under seat storage. A bunch of space there that's not readily accessible. Probably cut access under the observer seat, or just wriggle through the bow to install and install terminals under the seat for charging. Would like to run new main and ground cables and improve some other wiring too. Electrical issues in my experience are the most common on boats so there's no such thing as overkill.