PDA

View Full Version : Below freezing

jasun
04-22-2015, 01:02 PM
It is supposed to get in the upper 20s or lower 30s the next two nights. I have summerized my boat and am wondering if I should throw a heater in the engine compartment the next two nights. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zim
04-22-2015, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't worry. Even if it dips to those temps, it'll only be for a few hours. Takes a lot more time than that to bring your block to those temps and allow a hard freeze.

You can always put a light bulb or something in the bilge for peace of mind, but probably don't need it.

docdrs
04-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Upper 20's for a couple of night should be no prob as it will be warmer I the day time as noted above. When th average between the big and low gets below 30 or really below the upper 20s is when you start to get into problems. Like above 27 for a few hours is not going to freeze anything in your boat. Unless maybe it's uncovered in a field with with 30 mph winds

jasun
04-22-2015, 06:59 PM
I think I'm safe then!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/22/d996ae4886edb5afcdaac3aa7720c758.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cadunkle
04-22-2015, 10:39 PM
I would pull the block and manifold drains, only takes a few mins... but I'm paranoid about such things.

CJD
04-23-2015, 01:15 AM
It is not worth the risk. Put a light, heater, or something else in the bilge if you don't want to redrain. As Neil Armstrong put it when asked why go to the trouble of quarantine after the moon flight, "although the risk is very low, the Results would be very bad".

cadunkle
04-23-2015, 11:20 PM
For what it's worth it's currently 44* here but a projected low of 34* tonight and tomorrow and a freeze warning tomorrow night and the news is talking about overnight freeze and covering plants and such. I just got done draining my block manifolds and heater core... Took me all of 10 minutes. 4 plugs, 2 hose clamps, and blow in the heater core hose until no water comes out. Not worth the risk for me even though I doubt if it does drop below freezing it would be long enough to actually freeze up substantially and cause damage.