PDA

View Full Version : New Surf Platform, Fresh Air Exhaust and Ladder installed

baberger
04-28-2015, 05:25 PM
...now it is time to get out on the water :)
Took inspiration from this group to make the following mods to my newly acquired 242 Launch...

txnight
04-28-2015, 09:33 PM
Great looking boat. Fill that thing up and get it on the lake!

wotan2525
04-29-2015, 10:01 AM
Gorgeous boat. I worry about the effect that the ladder may have on a surf wake (and the necessity of it) but if it's something you want and will use..... it's your boat!

Rakkasanscout187
04-29-2015, 04:51 PM
Looks awesome! I am looking forward to getting my new swim platform installed. Did you have any issues mounting it?

baberger
04-29-2015, 07:41 PM
Regarding impact on the wake, we will just have to wait and see. The wife really wanted it for some of the older members of our family who enjoy getting into the water, but struggle to get back in the boat. This is the same ladder that kjkimball used (another thread about it if you search swim ladder).
As far as mounting everything...I took my time, measured and remeasured and again, took my time. Drilling into virgin fiberglass was the most nerve racking element of it and hoping to hell everything lined up and I could get the platform brackets back into slots on the back of the boat. I drilled small pilot holes and then increased the size to accommodate the screws.

Rakkasanscout187
04-30-2015, 04:12 PM
Cools thanks for the info.

ChillinOj
05-04-2015, 11:51 AM
How do you like the FAE so far? It really seems like a no brainer to get as an add on. Did you install it yourself as well?

baberger
05-07-2015, 05:41 PM
How do you like the FAE so far? It really seems like a no brainer to get as an add on. Did you install it yourself as well?
I haven't had it on the water yet :( I've got two weeks to go...just soooo busy. Mother's Day plans this weekend otherwise i'd be out there.
I did the install myself. The directions were straight forward. I did take the stainless steel pieces to a shop to drill and cut a couple of pieces per the instructions. I just didn't have the right equipment to get the result I was looking for. It turned out really well - it is nice and clean :) The FAE is well designed and well built. It is not plug and play (it is 95% there)...you do need to "fit" it to your boat which requires a couple of cuts and a couple of holes drilled. I opted for the swim platform quick release system.

CornRickey
05-07-2015, 09:04 PM
The ladder would destroy my wake but making the wifey happy is priority. I keep thinking you may have missed a opportunity though. Instead of the ladder you could have easily justified additional bags for your wake that would also swamp the platform eliminating the need for the ladder. Win, Win in my book. Love my FAE, best stereo upgrade out there.

stevenang
07-09-2019, 10:00 AM
We just purchased a 2014 Supra SC450, and we are looking at ladder options for the same reason as you.....the need for accessibility from the water for older family members. Can you tell me about the ladder you added, the effect it had, and any recommendations you might make?

Thanks in advance!

KnoxSA
08-23-2019, 03:58 PM
If just hanging out, fill your rear ballast. It will sink the platform and be way easier for folks to get back on the boat. Maybe attach a short rope to the back as well.

baberger
08-24-2019, 08:04 PM
We just purchased a 2014 Supra SC450, and we are looking at ladder options for the same reason as you.....the need for accessibility from the water for older family members. Can you tell me about the ladder you added, the effect it had, and any recommendations you might make?

Thanks in advance!

I ordered it from www.marinehardware.com

What I ordered was LADR30004

It is on page 74 of this catalog:

http://www.marinehardware.com/downloads/import.pdf

As far as usefulness, it gets used all the time. In terms of effect, I don't really notice that is has had any negative effect. Our wave is quite nice and I have other friends who wake surf that prefer our boat/wave to theirs!

I hope that helps!