PDA

View Full Version : Floor repair work 87 Saltare

jwskelton
02-06-2003, 12:14 AM
Looks like I've got a little more floor rot than expected. Upon removal of the interior for scheduled replacement its looking more and more like I will have to replace the entire floor. I can do most of the dirty work up to taking the top off, or do I need to? Does anyone know someone in Houston who can help?

ben(riverside)
02-07-2003, 12:47 PM
take some pictures,it will help alot when i have to do my 88 saltare.
how are the stringers?
ben

jwskelton
02-07-2003, 01:02 PM
no problem, looks like i found somebody here and the boat will be going in the shop this next week.

GOGO
02-07-2003, 03:59 PM
I had to have mine redone also (87 sunsport) You might as well take the entire deck off as you will most likely have extension into difficult to get to areas. We eventually had to. What kind of subfloor have you considered? I used the XP/Xl treated ply wood out of Oregon. Many manufactures use it and it has an excellent warranty.(Tigre yuck, uses it in all their boats). The other thing you will find is the foam utilized by Supra back then sucks, you will have to replace it all!! I had some minor dedrigration of stringers where Supra holed them in order to inject the foam. They did not reglass these areas. (perhaps the next boat lol). Other than that I have a complete water tight, solid+ floar, better sound deadning and inproved flotation. Watch how you reattach items through the floor. Its water tight uhtil you puncture it with a screw. The type of wood is suposed to be impervious to rot but i siliconed all ares to ensure no water could infiltrate.
good luck:
GOGO

jwskelton
03-20-2003, 05:38 PM
OK, finished the floor, just around 1700.00. We did not have to take off the top, but still was a difficult job. They did find many boards off the stringers that had major rot. Finished off with 5 layers of glass, now i need to look for carpet.

dba4life
04-14-2003, 10:09 AM
$1700 seems pretty good to me. That included the floor and the stringers? Or just the floor?

kelat
05-27-2003, 10:42 PM
I have an 89 Saltare that is in need of a floor replacement as well. Who in Houston did you have do the work?