flatbedfred
05-15-2015, 10:04 PM
we have 2012 supra w 5.7 how do i test exhaust manifold for internal cracks

docdrs
05-15-2015, 10:19 PM
Why do you need to do this?

CJD
05-16-2015, 08:50 AM
Just wait...internal cracks become external cracks in short order!

docdrs
05-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Or rather why do you think you need to test for them? Whats the symptom?

flatbedfred
05-16-2015, 09:34 AM
approx 2 quarts water in oil. was on water shut engine off. ten minutes later wont turn over. just hard thud. towed in. next morning pulled starter. checked oil found water in oil.

flatbedfred
05-16-2015, 09:51 AM
found approx 2 qts water in oil.

docdrs
05-16-2015, 11:12 PM
Was this the first time out? How was the motor winterized, are you in salt water? Odd for a 2012. Maybe a cracked block? Where are you from?

Cusefan78
05-17-2015, 07:03 AM
2nd sounds like a cracked block. I was out with my buddy a few years ago. Motor ran then died then seized. Oil pan was full of water.

2500HD
05-17-2015, 03:18 PM
Start with the simplest and go from there. Do a compression test on all cylinders. If you find one that is off do a leak down compression test by adding a couple of ounces of oil to the cylinder through the spark plug hole. redo the compression test for that cylinder. If your compression goes up it's rings. If not then it could be the head or head gasket.
there are also water jackets in the intake. Hopefully it isn't the block, but if you take the head off you will be able to see inside the cylinder and look for a crack. This spring i found water in my oil and got lucky that it was (keeping finger crossed since i have only done one run on lake) just a cylinder head. Why it cracked is beyond me.

docdrs
05-17-2015, 04:04 PM
Start with the simplest and go from there. Do a compression test on all cylinders. If you find one that is off do a leak down compression test by adding a couple of ounces of oil to the cylinder through the spark plug hole. redo the compression test for that cylinder. If your compression goes up it's rings. If not then it could be the head or head gasket.
there are also water jackets in the intake. Hopefully it isn't the block, but if you take the head off you will be able to see inside the cylinder and look for a crack. This spring i found water in my oil and got lucky that it was (keeping finger crossed since i have only done one run on lake) just a cylinder head. Why it cracked is beyond me.
How do you winterize?

2500HD
05-17-2015, 04:35 PM
I used to just drain everything and put her away. Not anymore. From now on I'm gonna pull the thermostat and run the engine with straight anti freeze until I hit -40. And no I won't start it in a lake with the antifreeze still in it.

docdrs
05-18-2015, 12:01 AM
I used to just drain everything and put her away. Not anymore. From now on I'm gonna pull the thermostat and run the engine with straight anti freeze until I hit -40. And no I won't start it in a lake with the antifreeze still in it.
How old is the boat. I would think that a head would be the last to go if it was drained

Cusefan78
05-18-2015, 07:30 AM
I did that last year. Pulled the thermostat and sucked in 6 gallons of antifreeze. I bought the kit and it worked like a charm. We had a crazy cold winter up in the northeast and no problems

2500HD
05-18-2015, 08:08 AM
How old is the boat. I would think that a head would be the last to go if it was drained

She is a 2000 santera. I also found the injectors to be in poor shape so i replaced them. When i sent the head in to be tested it wouldn't hold any pressure on the cylinder i thought was bad. They couldn't visually see the crack but it wouldn't hold pressure. The motor is the indmar 325. Or as i like to call it a vortec.