PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Supra TS6M starter grind need info.

covertcombatant
05-25-2015, 04:10 PM
Hello Everyone,
I'm a new owner of a 1988 Supra TS6M.
The guy that I bought it from just put a new starter in it and it is already grinding. Can anyone give me a starter part number that fits the PCM 351 I'm curious if it's the right starter or not.
Any info would be appreciated. I'll attach a few photos.

mlaosa
05-25-2015, 09:03 PM
Take a look at www.skidim.com they have almost any info and engine parts for your boat. It should be a one wire starter if you have a PCM engine.
My 90 model has the one wire.

covertcombatant
05-25-2015, 10:57 PM
Here is the starter that is In it right now. This the the brand new one that was installed but it's grinding like a Chevy starter that needs to be shimmed. Haven't taken the starter off yet to inspect the ring gear. Just want to know if this is the right starter for that model.

covertcombatant
05-25-2015, 10:58 PM
Here is the starter that is In it right now. This the the brand new one that was installed but it's grinding like a Chevy starter that needs to be shimmed. Haven't taken the starter off yet to inspect the ring gear. Just want to know if this is the right starter for that model.
it's a Sierra Marine 18-5920

covertcombatant
05-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Pulled the starter to find chunks of ring gear teeth sitting in the bottom of the bellhousing. Does anyone have a how-to on pulling the tranny and pulling the bellhousing along with the damper plate / ring gear? Any info would be appreciated.

mlaosa
05-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Disconnect the driveshaft from tranny and slide it back. Pull the rear trans mounts side bolts from trans. Remove the water hoses to and from the trans cooler. Disconnect the shift cable, Remove the bellhousing bolts, slide the tranny back toward the rear of the boat. Then you have access to the damper and flywheel.

covertcombatant
05-26-2015, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the info. That's what I'll be tackling tomorrow.