PDA

View Full Version : Bilge/Rocker Switch Wiring Guide

Chaser720
05-27-2015, 08:25 AM
I've been having an issue (starting about a month ago) with the bilge pump tripping out the circuit breaker under the dash. I figured the issue was the bilge pump so ordered a new one. Before installing the new one, I cut the wires for the old bilge so nothing was connected and tried to cut the switch on to see what would happen.

The voltage on dash gauge dropped the same amount as when the bilge was connected (12.5ish to 10.5ish) and then tripped again after 20 or so seconds. The light in the switch came on as well.

Would the switch be pulling this much voltage/could the switch be bad causing the pump to trip out? Also I have taken the rocker switches off and on a few times and wiring behind them makes no since to me. Anyone have a wiring guide to how the rocker switch circuit board ties into the circuit under the dash?

Boat is a 2002 Supra Launch with Indmar Assault Carb. Thank you for your help.

lively
05-27-2015, 11:57 PM
yes the rocker can be bad seeing that it making and breaking a contact , when they don't make all the way it could be pulling more amperage thus blowing fuse , and or the pump /motor armature is grounding or loose winding inside . but i would eliminate the rocker and install a float switch and just run it to 12v fused source and call it done ..

Chaser720
05-30-2015, 12:38 AM
yes the rocker can be bad seeing that it making and breaking a contact , when they don't make all the way it could be pulling more amperage thus blowing fuse , and or the pump /motor armature is grounding or loose winding inside . but i would eliminate the rocker and install a float switch and just run it to 12v fused source and call it done ..

I decided to take your advise. Wiring a new bilge with direct line to the battery tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

lively
05-30-2015, 12:57 AM
Sure man most boats these days have float switches and are auto upon water intrusion , mine however I still flip a switch . But may wire a float inline later . Good luck