PDA

View Full Version : Teak Swim Platform

WadsworthSunsport22V
06-07-2007, 12:46 PM
How often do you need to put oil on a teak swim platform? Also, I have read that Tung Oil can damage the boat's gel coat, is this true? What products for teak protection are recommended?

Thanks

OUI
06-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Oil it whenever it looks dry. There are several teak products out there -- but use something especially for teak.

IndyMatt
06-09-2007, 11:13 AM
I'll throw this out there and see what people think.... We have a neighbor at the lake that swears by GM Automatic transmission fluid to oil his teak. It seems to last longer between oiling, its not any more slippery than the regular commercial teak oils & it gives the teak a slight red hue, making it look like a deep cedar stain... kinda that warm look like when they are new. Now, i Have the fiberglass platform so I have not tried this, but I can say his teak always looks great. Anyone else ever heard of this??

WadsworthSunsport22V
06-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Transmission fluid sounds interesting - but is there an environmental concern? Anyway, teak oil/tung oil, might have the same environmental hazards.

IndyMatt
06-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Interesting point... The application process is the same & he allows it to dry (as much as oil does anyway) before putting back in the water. Like I said before, it seems to stay on the wood longer.