PDA

View Full Version : New supra owner... 454 and stringer rot... what to do

thepadokc
05-31-2015, 11:01 PM
Hey everyone.

So just picked up this 86 Supra sun sport with the 454, the ODO shows a low 184 hours but its been neglected. I bought it super cheap knowing its got some soft wood issues but knowing the 454 makes it a cool boat.

That i know of its sat uncovered in a field for at least 2 years...

Heres what it looks like right now
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/FastJetta97/IMG_3970_zpsorofytn9.jpg

heres the inside.... the engine shroud and drivers paneling (the blue) is nasty and will be replaced but all the other white padding is in great shape (was removed before the boat was parked)
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/FastJetta97/00385ef2-a964-4447-850b-20413dfaa959_zpswjwlctfh.jpg

the engine runs and sounds great but needs a new carburetor

now for the HORROR pics.... kids avert your eyes...

this is after pealing up the carpet and ripping up some soggy, crumbling, rotted floor board
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/FastJetta97/IMG_3983_zpskczu6uoa.jpg

and it just keeps going...
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/FastJetta97/IMG_3984_zpsbd2ojiob.jpg

so the big decision for me now is how far i want to tear down into it for restoration. I looked through some threads on here and i really want to just say screw it and do a cap off gut it job and know that its all good i just don't know if its worth the money and time.

anyways stay tuned for more updates

DKJBama92Mariah
06-01-2015, 09:29 PM
Hi thepadokc,

Welcome to Supra Forums! It appears this post you made last night was somehow flagged by our automated spam filtering system. I'm sure you may have been wondering why your post didn't show up. I have approved it for you now and I don't think you'll have any further troubles. However, if you do make a post that doesn't show up, feel free to make a post in the help forum or PM one of the moderators for help.

EDIT TO ADD: I also closed the other thread you started since it was a duplicate of this one.

docdrs
06-01-2015, 09:46 PM
How are the motor mount bolts? Do they spin or can you torque them down. If you can i say do a quicky deck and enjoy the boat. If they are loose and in rot then i think you might as well do. A cap off

thepadokc
06-01-2015, 10:21 PM
No its bad....

the one of the motor mount bolts i pulled out by hand hahaha. Its gonna need a cap of rest at some point. Just deciding if i wanna slap some fresh deck over it and enjoy it for this season and do it over the winter.

i will take some more pics tomorrow to show just how bad it is. :(

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
06-02-2015, 12:39 AM
Any chance you decide to sell any parts of it, I would be interested in the Steering wheel.

lively
06-02-2015, 12:52 AM
yes you need to remove the cap and gut the boat and start over , but if you just want to play for the season go put some composite decking . if the engine mounts are loose and or pulling out i wouldn't risk shearing my 800$ prop shaft not to mention possibly sinking the boat , if your motivated i think you could tackle the stringers and deck now and finish the rest out later

Salty87
06-02-2015, 11:47 AM
No its bad....

the one of the motor mount bolts i pulled out by hand hahaha. Its gonna need a cap of rest at some point. Just deciding if i wanna slap some fresh deck over it and enjoy it for this season and do it over the winter.

i will take some more pics tomorrow to show just how bad it is. :(

nothing like the smell of a cesspool of water sitting under a rotted floor (...in the morning, lol). taking her out with stringers like that is dangerous. Wotan has a story of basically sinking because his engine shifted when his stringers were rotten.

if you want to keep the boat for at least a couple of years take the topcap off. you'll likely come out upside down on resale if you want to sell sooner than later, unless you got it for next to nothing.

forgot to ask...what's up with that distributor cap?

DKJBama92Mariah
06-02-2015, 05:46 PM

In two words I'd say: a lot. Looks to be an automotive distributor. Never seen a boat with vacuum advance.

thepadokc
06-03-2015, 11:43 PM
if you want to keep the boat for at least a couple of years take the topcap off. you'll likely come out upside down on resale if you want to sell sooner than later, unless you got it for next to nothing.

Well i have no idea what these are worth restored... i have seen prices from 2,000 - 10,000... all things considered yeah i got this boat stupid cheap.

In two words I'd say: a lot. Looks to be an automotive distributor. Never seen a boat with vacuum advance.

Yeah im a race car guy so thats a HEI distributor i had laying around. Its a ignition coil and distributor all in one. makes life simple since the ignition coil on this motor was bad.

What do these things sound like with the exhaust baffles out? any reason to leave them in?

DKJBama92Mariah
06-04-2015, 12:41 AM
Yeah im a race car guy so thats a HEI distributor i had laying around. Its a ignition coil and distributor all in one. makes life simple since the ignition coil on this motor was bad.

What do these things sound like with the exhaust baffles out? any reason to leave them in?

The following parts should never be replaced with automotive equivalents. Use ONLY marine replacement parts:
-Starters
-Alternators
-Distributors
-Carburetors.

The closed bilge of a boat is much different than a car. If a car drops a little fuel on the pavement, no big deal. If the fuel system spills the least bit of gasoline in the enclosed bilge of a boat, the fumes can create an explosive mixture essentially turning the boat into a fuel-air bomb.

Marine starters, alternators and distributors are different from automotive ones in that they are spark protected with screens in the vents. These screens prevent a flame that starts from a spark inside the unit from propagating outside the unit. This is known as being ignition protected.

Marine carbs are different from auto carbs in two ways: (1) the vent tubes are a J-style to route any bowl overflow, and (2) the throttle blade shafts have special seal to prevent fuel from leaking out the shaft bore.

With the boat torn apart and the engine open to the air, that distributor will do fine just run the engine on the hose. However, it needs to be replaced with a marine unit before you splash the boat.

I'm not trying to preach to you or criticize you. I just wanted to make sure you know.

jtryon
06-04-2015, 08:56 AM
The following parts should never be replaced with automotive equivalents. Use ONLY marine replacement parts:
-Starters
-Alternators
-Distributors
-Carburetors.

The closed bilge of a boat is much different than a car. If a car drops a little fuel on the pavement, no big deal. If the fuel system spills the least bit of gasoline in the enclosed bilge of a boat, the fumes can create an explosive mixture essentially turning the boat into a fuel-air bomb.

Marine starters, alternators and distributors are different from automotive ones in that they are spark protected with screens in the vents. These screens prevent a flame that starts from a spark inside the unit from propagating outside the unit. This is known as being ignition protected.

Marine carbs are different from auto carbs in two ways: (1) the vent tubes are a J-style to route any bowl overflow, and (2) the throttle blade shafts have special seal to prevent fuel from leaking out the shaft bore.

With the boat torn apart and the engine open to the air, that distributor will do fine just run the engine on the hose. However, it needs to be replaced with a marine unit before you splash the boat.

I'm not trying to preach to you or criticize you. I just wanted to make sure you know.
good info for everyone to know, thanks.

Salty87
06-04-2015, 09:59 AM

There probably aren't any exhaust baffles or mufflers. You should have either flaps or what's called Supratrapps on the transom. Their job is to prevent water from backwashing into the pipes and reaching the engine. If you have the trapps they probably helped contribute to the rotten flooring. The plate that screws to the transom often leaks on older boats.

wotan2525
06-04-2015, 03:03 PM

It's a chinese knock-off of the Accel units. I have the same dizzy in my boat. Yes, I know I "shouldn't" run an automotive distributor but it sits at the top of the engine and I'm comfortable with the very, very small risk that I'm taking as it runs better than any of the marine units I've ever tried.

And this boat needs a cap off stringer replacement. Putting a new deck on it and running it without somehow stabilizing the engine is just asking for trouble. This is how I sunk my boat.

DKJBama92Mariah
06-04-2015, 03:28 PM
It's a chinese knock-off of the Accel units. I have the same dizzy in my boat. Yes, I know I "shouldn't" run an automotive distributor but it sits at the top of the engine and I'm comfortable with the very, very small risk that I'm taking as it runs better than any of the marine units I've ever tried.

As long as you understand the risk, it's yours to take. I just wanted our new member to be aware of the risks as well. If you want an all-in-one marine HEI distibutor, Performance distributors offers their Marine D.U.I. unit for both BB and SB chevy motors as well as the small-block Windsor motor. The folks over at correctcraftfan swear by them and I've never heard a harsh word spoken of them. If I hadn't already replaced my Pro-Tec ignition with the PCM replacement kit that comes with a Mallory Marine Magnetic breakerless distributor I would have one on my boat. https://performancedistributors.com/product/marine-dui-distributors/

And this boat needs a cap off stringer replacement. Putting a new deck on it and running it without somehow stabilizing the engine is just asking for trouble. This is how I sunk my boat.

I couldn't agree more.

thepadokc
06-04-2015, 11:03 PM
I think my plan at the moment will be to replace just the 4x4's that the engine mounts bolt to and try and limp it through this season and get a little enjoyment out of it.

Then over the winter I'm going to do the full cap off restoration and make it sweet.

Here is some more carnage pics... someone seriously neglected this poor boat.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/FastJetta97/IMG_3995_zpsm4llrsq3.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/FastJetta97/IMG_3996_zpsv125lcf3.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/FastJetta97/IMG_3997_zps3li8umlu.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/FastJetta97/IMG_3998_zpsga0onzjy.jpg

I got the new carb on there and the thing starts and runs great. hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and it a nice solid 45 psi at idle. So even though it needs a ton of wood work I'm at least happy the drivetrain is good to go.

Cusefan78
06-05-2015, 03:34 PM
I'm not positive but I think the stringers the engine sits on are all tied together with the rest of them. You don't want those stringers twisting. Don't part that boat out. The hull is nice. Motor is strong and it's got a great classic look. Boats aren't an investment. They are a drain on the wallet. You need to balance the drain with the fun. You have a great looking boat. When it's done you'll have a great boat for a long time to come.

Moor
06-09-2015, 02:52 PM
I agree with not parting out that boat, give it the cap off it deserves. I wouldn't try to band-aid it for the rest of the season, the rot looks pretty substantial. A sunsport with a factory 454 is UBER rare. Besides myself, you have the only other one i've ever seen. I'm not banking on it, but i wouldn't be surprised to see it fetch a decent dollar in the long run due to it being somewhat of a unicorn.

ckracing
06-10-2015, 02:20 PM
Pull the cap and do it right - nothing good comes of a 1/2 repair to use this season. You're going to end up upside down or net neutral in the boat if you do most of the labor. These are passion projects. When I did mine, I knew I was keeping it for a while. I kept reminding myself of my childhood, how I lucky enough to ski behind a reps boat and one day - I would have one of my own. When it's done right, it's good for another 25 years (probably more due to the fixes along the way). Please, do not hack the boat up and part it out.

I get more comments and admirers on water / on trailer than those I know with newer towboats. The lines are classic, you don't see many of them and the performance on water is awesome.

Roll your sleeves up - let's get it on!

ckracing
06-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Any chance you decide to sell any parts of it, I would be interested in the Steering wheel.

I have a steering wheel like in the picture. Didn't really want to part ways with it, but it's sitting. If you have better use for it, I'm sure we can get there. PM me.
-Chris

Moor
03-21-2016, 03:54 PM
Any updates on this boat?

thepadokc
03-22-2016, 10:50 PM
Any updates on this boat?

Sorry guys. No my shops been slammed busy so I haven't made any more progress.

Might end up selling it sadly. So many projects

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
03-22-2016, 11:37 PM
Sell it whole or for parts?

War wagon
03-30-2016, 12:05 PM
I would be interested in the hull....

19supra19
03-30-2016, 12:10 PM
I have a 88' 454 Saltare in the classifieds if anyone interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE
03-30-2016, 03:38 PM
I'd be interested in the engine and trans

19supra19
03-30-2016, 05:23 PM
Sorry but I'm not gonna part it out.

Moor
04-07-2016, 03:59 PM
Sorry but I'm not gonna part it out.

Glad to hear it. Are you going to give her the cap off?

19supra19
04-07-2016, 06:41 PM
Glad to hear it. Are you going to give her the cap off?

I'm not the original post. I was talking about a separate salt I got for sale in classifieds sorry for the confusion!

thepadokc
04-08-2016, 04:55 PM
Since i am so busy i have thought about selling it whole. Dont have time/want to part it out piece by piece.

if anyone is interested feel free to shoot me an offer.

Steve Robertson
06-17-2016, 01:11 AM
Since i am so busy i have thought about selling it whole. Dont have time/want to part it out piece by piece.

if anyone is interested feel free to shoot me an offer.

Do you still have it,you could text me at 636-236-8099 Steve