PDA

View Full Version : Tandem trailer question...please give insight

NoWake
06-03-2015, 08:31 AM
Getting ready to replace both axles on a sun sport trailer. Is it possible to run into alignment issues? If so, can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks in advance

DKJBama92Mariah
06-03-2015, 11:21 PM
What's wrong with the current axles? Are they bent? Broken? Rusted to the point of weakness? Are the spindles trashed?

Only asking because most everything on these axles can be replaced. Its been so long since I had the hubs off mine I can't remember if the spindles are bolted or welded to the axle tube.

DKJBama92Mariah
06-03-2015, 11:47 PM
To answer your question: No you shouldn't have any alignment issues. Your axle should have spring pads which when lined up with the springs takes care of lateral alignment. The rest is taken care of by the leaf springs.

If the axles really are bad enough to need to be replaced, I would certainly replace the U bolts and nuts, and I would also inspect the springs closely for cracks and consider replacing them as well.

NoWake
06-04-2015, 06:44 AM
What's wrong with the current axles?
DKJ,
The rest of to story goes... it is my 02 Susnsport I sold to great friends, and that being said, I feel bad anytime something happens to my old beauty. It was a torsion axle failure. He worked with Dexter and Boatmate on getting replacements. He said they were a pleasure to work with. They sent him 2 replacement axles and matching paint. We just finished a coat of Ospho, primer then paint yesterday. Will install Saturday. Looking at some old photos, I think you are right and we shouldn't run into any alignment issues.

DKJBama92Mariah
06-04-2015, 12:04 PM
DKJ,
The rest of to story goes... it is my 02 Susnsport I sold to great friends, and that being said, I feel bad anytime something happens to my old beauty. It was a torsion axle failure. He worked with Dexter and Boatmate on getting replacements. He said they were a pleasure to work with. They sent him 2 replacement axles and matching paint. We just finished a coat of Ospho, primer then paint yesterday. Will install Saturday. Looking at some old photos, I think you are right and we shouldn't run into any alignment issues.

Ahh, I see. Torsion axles; I was assuming a leaf sprung axle. Sorry, I don't know enough about torsion axles (except that they break) to give any meaningful advice,but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have alignment issues. Maybe get the torque specs for the bolts from the manufacturer to be safe.