PDA

View Full Version : Step by step for fluid changes

SteveK
06-09-2015, 02:03 AM
Hello. I have a 2005 Supra 21v with an Indmar 325hp fuel injected 350. I am looking for a good step by step manual for changing all the fluids (oil, transmission, v drive). I usually do my own work so I am fairly familiar with engine work, not a mechanic but I can find my way around an engine. But v drives are new territory for me so I would like some good reference material. I have the Indmar owners manual, but it doesn't really give directions.
Thanks.

meteorman
06-09-2015, 08:58 AM
Steve, I haven't changed my v-drive oil or transmission fluid yet but I did recently do the engine oil in my new-to-me Launch 24. I have the 8.1 but the general process should be the same. The 8.1 uses straight 40 weight so it was essential to run the motor up to temperature to get the oil to flow out. The 15-40 that the 350s use should flow better but I still recommend it. Your boat should have a long oil drain hose coming off of the pan that can be threaded out through the transom drain plug and opened to let the oil run out into a bucket. Your trailer will need to be on a flat surface for this to work -the engine slopes toward the bow and then that hose needs to slope toward the stern. This is due to the V drive configuration. If you put the trailer on a slope, it will mess up one of those angles. I found it was a lot easier to just get an oil extractor and pump the oil out of the drain hose.

The second learning I had was in regards to the oil filter. I have the remote oil filter, I think this is primarily an 8.1 thing but is available on the 350s as well. The angle in the mounting bracket causes the filter to come into contact with the bracket ever so slightly. This will make it impossible to spin the filter off, even with a wrench, so you'll need to loosen the bolts that attach the filter mount to its support bracket just a little and the filter will spin right off.

SteveK
06-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the advice. The oil drain hose you've mentioned is something that's new to me, so thanks for the tips.
Still looking for anyone that has a good guide for the trans and v drive!
Thanks.

CJD
06-09-2015, 02:25 PM
I have down loaded every reference and manual available for the Hurth tranny and Walters V drive. I'm afraid what you are asking is not in any of them. It's not hard, so I think they assume you can figure it out.

The V-drive has a 3/8" pipe fitting on the lowest point. Just remove and drain. Fill from the dip stick hole. I use a double garbage bag to catch the oil, as there is almost no room for a pan under the unit.

The tranny has a roundish plate with 2 bolts...one left and one right of center. You cannot see it from any angle...so you have to feel for it. Again, it is at the lowest position on the unit. Undo the 2 bolts and the round rubber gasket and the plate drop as all the fluid goes everywhere. Again, a double lined trash bag is all that works for catching it. Once drained, reach your finger into the hole where the plate was and you will feel a flimsy, tubular shaped screen. Pull it out and rinse it clean. If you find metal in the screen you have impending problems. Installation involves gently returning the screen, gasket, and plate. Install the screws and you are done. Fill from the dip stick hole.

As with most V-drive MX...the whole drain procedure is done by feel while bear hugging the units.

jzelt
06-09-2015, 04:40 PM
I use an oil extractor for all 3 fluids. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_390306_390306

Engine oil thru the drain hose, trans thru the fill hole, v-drive thru the dipstick hole.

I drive the boat around for the day, syphon the fluids in the parking lot and refill at home.

I take a turkey baster, remove the suction part, and use it as a funnel to pour the oil back in, lifting it slightly off the hole which allows it to drain faster.

I put a gallon ziplock bag over the oil filter, loosen it with these http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/grn/25320/image/3/ and let if fall in the bag, zip-tie and throw over the neighbors yard (just seeing if anyone reads this).

I also take a sharpie and draw an arrow on the new filter for direction it spins off (as I don't think it is righty-tighty).

SteveK
06-10-2015, 11:49 AM
Thanks a lot for the replies. I did some feeling around and thought I found the drains. Your posts confirmed it. Right down to proper disposal methods (over the fence, just like I do with all my dogs poop!).
Thanks again. Much appreciated!

CJD
06-10-2015, 10:16 PM
The oil extractor is better than nothing, but it leaves the really nasty, sludgy fluid in the sumps. Best to drain from the bottom so you can take a look at what settles there.

docdrs
06-11-2015, 12:17 AM
Look in the Moomba website HOW TO Section....its all there