PDA

View Full Version : Valve covers/gaskets?

wotan2525
06-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Anyone have tips on sealing some leaky valve covers? I bought some cheap summit chrome covers and some extra thick cork gaskets -- they still leak. Last time I had this problem, a friend gave me some heavy cast aluminum valve covers off a project car that he had in storage. Unfortunately, the car is back on the road (and therefore my high-buck covers were swapped out with the cheapies.) I get leaking/seepage at the back corners, especially while surfing.

I did apply black RTV between the cork gaskets and the covers (but not between the block and the gaskets.) Getting sick of pulling my exhaust manifolds and replacing these suckers.

Any tips on how to get them to seal up forever?

Wulphie
06-16-2015, 05:59 PM
Anyone have tips on sealing some leaky valve covers? I bought some cheap summit chrome covers and some extra thick cork gaskets -- they still leak. Last time I had this problem, a friend gave me some heavy cast aluminum valve covers off a project car that he had in storage. Unfortunately, the car is back on the road (and therefore my high-buck covers were swapped out with the cheapies.) I get leaking/seepage at the back corners, especially while surfing.

I did apply black RTV between the cork gaskets and the covers (but not between the block and the gaskets.) Getting sick of pulling my exhaust manifolds and replacing these suckers.

Any tips on how to get them to seal up forever?

You could try grey rtv. did you apply final torque before the black rtv was set? that could be your problem.

CJD
06-16-2015, 09:35 PM
If you have hydraulic lifters there is no reason to ever take the covers off. Use RTV on both sides of the gasket and you won't have any more problems.