PDA

View Full Version : Soft spot on a 93 sunsport floor

jasun
06-17-2015, 11:03 AM
A 93 curved windshield sunsport has a soft spot right in front of the bilge access. What would cause this?

Moor
06-17-2015, 11:12 AM
rotten wood.

wotan2525
06-17-2015, 01:03 PM
Yep. They have composite stringers but wooden floors. Luckily, it's not a difficult/expensive fix.

jasun
06-17-2015, 02:41 PM
So even though they say it's all composite, the floor is still fiberglassed wood???

Cusefan78
06-17-2015, 05:49 PM
Yup it's all glassed wood.

DKJBama92Mariah
06-17-2015, 05:59 PM
It's all composite below the waterline. The floors, the storage areas the seats sit on top of, and the motorbox base are wood covered in fiberglass. My boat saw a lot of watersports use in its younger years and a lot of water got tracked onto the floors. I've got a soft spot myself just to the left of my motorbox. Since the boat doesn't see much watersports use anymore, I'm ashamed to say I've just let it lie. I'll take care of it when it's time to redo the carpet and vinyl in the next couple years.

BigCity444
06-17-2015, 07:17 PM
Yep. They have composite stringers but wooden floors. Luckily, it's not a difficult/expensive fix.

My thoughts exactly.

Ptownkid
06-17-2015, 09:38 PM
My floors are not wood...they are starboard or something similar. Some of my cushion bases are wood, one was molded plastic. Doghouse was also wood with no fiberglass. There are all sorts of plywood pieces embedded in the hull as well like the rudder and strut backing plates, and all hardware backing plates (swim platform brackets, etc.) This is in a 1992 saltare

Cusefan78
06-18-2015, 12:55 PM
My 95 is all wood that's been glasses as far as I can tell. Motor base is wood but that's getting rebuilt and will be glassed before I re carpet it.

trayson
06-19-2015, 05:10 PM
My floors are not wood...they are starboard or something similar. Some of my cushion bases are wood, one was molded plastic. Doghouse was also wood with no fiberglass. There are all sorts of plywood pieces embedded in the hull as well like the rudder and strut backing plates, and all hardware backing plates (swim platform brackets, etc.) This is in a 1992 saltare

My seat bases in my 92 sunsport were HDPE. Like you my doghouse was wood IIRC.

cadunkle
06-22-2015, 10:42 PM
Seems like the only way to get a nice classic boat that's good for life is to buy what you like and build it how you want it. Composite stringers and floor, no foam, HDPE seat bases/structure. My concern with factory composite boats is all the foam. It'll hold water, and in norhtern climates freeze/thaw cycles will result in eventual delamination and other failures requiring essentially very similar work as a stringer job. Seen this on a CC on one of their forums and suspect we'll see more as composite boats get older and endure more freeze/thaw cycles.