PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't turn off

tstruth
06-21-2015, 12:50 PM
Hello Folks,
Started the engine and it sounded like the starter was staying engaged. I turned off the key but the engine stayed running. I swapped out the ignition switch and still the same. I removed starter to see if she was locked in. Sprayed and reinstalled, Gear seemed to move freely. Read a few post with some mentioning a diode off the alternator to prevent flow back.

Anyone experience this before?

Thanks.

UKandH
06-22-2015, 04:22 AM
Starter solenoid stuck?

At the back of the engine above the gearbox is a bracket with the starter solenoid mounted on it...disconnect the small wires and see what happens, if that dont cure it then the contacts have welded together, change the solenoid :)

DKJBama92Mariah
06-22-2015, 05:32 PM
Starter solenoid stuck?

At the back of the engine above the gearbox is a bracket with the starter solenoid mounted on it...disconnect the small wires and see what happens, if that dont cure it then the contacts have welded together, change the solenoid :)

This is what it sounds like to me.

tstruth
06-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Thanks I will give it a try.

CornRickey
06-24-2015, 12:45 PM
Poor battery or bad battery cable performance can cause this. The solenoid will trigger but due to poor amperage it will weld closed and cause a continuous crank. Usually tapping on the solenoid will correct it then figure out the problem that is causing it.

N3X
08-10-2015, 03:28 PM
CornRickey can you go into detail? We're experiencing the same symptoms as described above but can't understand why the solenoid should stay shut if there isn't enough amperage.

CornRickey
08-10-2015, 07:56 PM
The solenoid is a electromagnetic that when energized closes two contacts that sends energy to the starter. Those contacts can build resistance and when the conditions are right with poor amperage delivery they can weld closed causing the starter to spin after the key is let off.

N3X
08-11-2015, 02:45 AM
So you would suggest that a change of battery cables could improve the situation? We bought a new solenoid and it doesn't work properly. In another thread I read something about failing of the resistor built in between solenoid and alternator. Can this also be the reason for the malfunction?

chris young
08-11-2015, 09:02 AM
The resistor you talk about is to drop voltage to the ignition coil, and has nothing to do with your issue. If your starter continues to spin after you release the key it will be only one of three things, starter, ignition switch, or solenoid. Bad battery cables will cause the opposite problem. (weak or no starter function) I would go for first the solenoid (cheap and easy to replace)

What do you mean by the new solenoid not working properly?

CJD
08-11-2015, 09:23 AM
The cables shouldn't go bad...but the connectors at the ends can become loose/corroded. If they do not conduct well, heat is generated through the resistance. This heat is what causes damage to the connections, solenoid, etc. The solenoid contacts will be held closed with less force, so those contacts will generate heat.

So a good connector examination and cleaning is in order.

lively
08-18-2015, 11:14 PM
just check it with a meter ground to starter post , ign lead , ect .. more than likely solenoid